Vibrations

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Eggcakes, Feb 1, 2014.

1. I was looking through some old threads the other day and came across one about vibrating cars I've noticed mine vibrates a fair amount on idle but as soon as you rev it or drive of its smooth until it drops back to idle then it carrys on does this sound like a likely culprit for a knackered engine mount ? Cheers for any help

2. Yes mate most likely the main mount on the offside

3. Cheers I'll have to have a look is it easy to replace ?

4. You can tell if its ready for replacing just by looking at it. It sags down.
    Its abit tricky to replace, you have to take the weight of the engine, a jack underneath will do fine but i had access to an overhead crane which made the job a lot easier

5. Could someone put a pic up showing where te mount is please

6. I did it on my lads with a trolly jack and plank of wood taking the weight

7. Yeah ive heard that the way to do it just wanting to eye the job up first make sure im looking at the right bit etc

8. This guide is in French, but the pics tell the story pretty well. Google translate is your friend...

http://www.meganers.fr/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9924

The aircon pipe needs a bit of tugging about to get the mount out/in, and you need to be careful with that for obvious reasons!

9. Cheers ill check that out

10. Did you torque the bolts up john I have no idea how to use a torque wrench lol

11. Naa did I hell it won't my car lol, I work with nuts and bolts all day so you get "a feel" for it if that makes sence just try judge how much force was needed to get it off and wind it to about the same :-)

12. That's about what I normally do ! a job for next month if I have enough cash on payday

13. Car tax tomorrow :'( then save some for service :'(

14. I've got map short shift tax and spring fitting hopefully and engine mount all to come out of this months wages:worried:

15. Saying that map and tax are only definates ATM

16. Mine had these vibrations and occasionally could hear rattles in the engine bay. It was the main o/s mount, RST replaced it for me and they had to jack up the engine. Feels so much smoother now and purrs while waiting at the lights. Didn't cost much to replace

17. I think they're about 80 quid new from renault so not too bad I suppose garages round me are a rip so i try and do certain things myself

18. Mounts will be on my list sometime don't know when but sometime, oh hopefully get clutch done at weekend if I can get cover at work and my mechanics missus not dropped a sprog

19. The more spare cash I happen to have one month the more I seem to find wrong lol mine will need a clutch soon I'd have thought it's just ticked onto 70 and afaik it's still on original

20. Checked today definately doesn't look right I could get my finger between the metal and the rubber parts so gonna replace see how it goes

21. My clutch just slipping at 77k and its the first one its had

22. Fingers crossed mine keeps on gripping it could change after remap though lol

23. Carfull itbdont slip on rolling road

24. Damb new phone!! Slip on rolling road!

25. What do you mean ?

26. If it slips under pressure on the rolling road it won't give a true reading i got told

27. Paul will abort the session if it does, I had it happen on my last one.

28. Hope that don't happen then:eek:

29. You'll just come away with a map that doesn't cause the clutch to slip, so fingers crossed!!!!

30. I think my clutch is fine touch wood lol it's just at that age

31. All sorted changed the top engine mount after work half hour job it's a revelation completely different car perfectly smooth thanks to ads for the excellent parts service v happy :smiley:

32. New vs old

[​IMG]

33. Better check mine :smile:

34. Its easy to tell

35. unnamed (7).jpg

ready for surgery tomorrow clutch time :smile:

36. That looks expensive:confused:

37. "good mate in the right places" £500 ish all in :smile:

38. Glad you've sorted it - makes a big difference doesn't it?

39. It's brilliant mate feels a different car such an easy fix wish I'd done it sooner thanks for the guide and google translate I'd have never thought of that :wink:

40. Yup that excellent price I'd come to you off that price