The Clio has F4rt'ed

Discussion in 'Other Projects' started by CazanRacing, Jul 29, 2013.

1. From the begining to now.... Chapter 1 - The N/A Beast

Not strictly a Megane project but it does involve a Megane engine.. :smile:

I've had my Clio 200 since new in 2010, at first I was really happy with the performance but then as the weeks went by I soon realised it need more.

This is how she was when I picked her up...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started with the usual mods, Milltek exhaust, lowering springs, ITG filter and a remap. As I am also the owner of a carbon fibre and performance accessories company I thought it would be rude not to put some carbon on it..

7000106832_dcb5c4048d.jpg

And then I thought i'd play around with some stickers...

7000107328_5ddfcd72e9.jpg

7146207129_9e2c53e954.jpg

[​IMG]

Next up was the center silencer delete for some great pops and bangs..

[​IMG]

Next up was the darker rear lights....

[​IMG]

Obviously by this stage the Clio wasn't quick enough so this switch appeared...

[​IMG]

Yes you guessed it I stuck a 50bhp shot of Nos on it, controlled by a Max Extreme progressive controller...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Nos was awesome but I still wanted more so a 64mm Throttle Body and V6 Airbox was on the cards...

Please excuse the test fit picture complete with tie wraps. lol

[​IMG]

As many of you are aware the Clio's throttle response is crap so a Sprintbooster was fitted...

[​IMG]

Once this little lot was on, the car was quite frankly epic. The Nos made such a difference as did the Sprintbooster, unfortunately Nos fill ups are expensive and I have a habit of using too much so in the end the poor girl died, she coughed, she spat a valve and one of her pistons crumbled...

And that brings us up to...

2. Chapter 2 - The Boosted Beast

The project had begun so I started collecting everything I needed to complete the build.

3. Chapter 2 - The Boosted Beast

The project had begun so I started collecting everything I needed to complete the build.

Full set of Ktec/Virbatechnics engine mounts.. just one shown here

[​IMG]

ARP Rod Bolts

[​IMG]

Mishimoto Intercooler

[​IMG]

Ktec 3" Decat Down pipe

[​IMG]

Ktec Induction Kit

[​IMG]

Next up was the engine build... complete with Forge Silicone hoses and titanium exhaust wrap... and of course the development of a massive 63mm hard pipe kit. The engine build, development hard pipe kit and wiring was completed SC Auto Electrics in Bolton.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once finished it was time to shoehorn everything in, the full install was done by Noble Motorsport in Chesterfield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst this was happening I found a bargain on eBay and ended up with a set of Rota Boost, 17x8j ET45

[​IMG]

And some Sparco harnesses also courtesy of eBay

[​IMG]

So with that the car was finally finished..

The Spec:

Engine:

• Late Megane 225 - 33,000 miles
    • New cambelt and aux kit
    • ARP rod bolts
    • KTec induction kit
    • Mishimoto intercooler - one big mother
    • SC Auto Electrics 63mm hard pipe kit
    • Forge Motorsport silicone cooling pipes
    • ASH Silicone induction hose
    • Ktec 3" decat pipe
    • Milltek link pipe
    • Vibratechnics fast road engine mounts
    • titanium exhaust wrap
    • Custom made turbo heat shield
    • Sprintbooster

Gearbox:

• Clio 200 gearbox
    • New clutch kit

Chassis:

• Ultra Racing upper strut bar
    • Ultra Racing lower chassis brace
    • Ultra Racing rear ARB
    • Apex Lowering springs

Wheels:

• Rota Boost 17x8 et45

Bodywork:

• Carbon Fibre bonnet
    • Carbon fibre cup spoiler tips
    • Front bumper corner splitters
    • Front bumper canards
    • Custom made tow hook

As mentioned 2 companies have been involved in this conversion. Noble Motorsport of Chesterfield and SC Auto Electrics in Bolton.

Ste cleaned and built the engine with the ARP rod bolts, putting on everything from the turbo, decat, exhaust wrap coolant hoses and custom Meg/Clio wiring loom. This was then delivered to Nobles.

Noble Motorsport had already taken out my old engine and gave the engine bay a proper clean. They put in the new clutch and put the gearbox on then popped the engine in.

Once the engine was in they then set about fabricating the turbo heatshield, the custom braket for the expansion tank and basically wired everything up ready to go.
    The job that Nobles did was as expected very professional and very OEM so understandably I'm very happy with their workmanship.

The car then went back to Ste in Bolton for the mounting of intercooler and the massive prototype hard pipe kit, at 63 mm this kit is around 12mm larger than the ktec and forge kits that are. Its also a work of art and has less joining points.

The main issue has been the availability of the correct R26 ecu, gladly this was sorted but was a headache. The work by Ste been outstanding and very OEM, overall I am ecstatic with it all and with everything that Ste and Nobles have done.

You've only got to look at the figures and the graph to see that Ste knows his onions very well indeed.

293bhp

297lb torque

[​IMG]

As I'm still running the Clio gearbox I asked Ste to keep the torque close to 300lb so I'm sure it could've made more. [​IMG]

So here is the finished car completely de-stickered for the stealth look..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plans for the rest of the summer are some new coilovers, ones that havnt been seen on a Clio yet and also a very tasty Cazan Racing branded 330mm 8 pot big brake kit.

Already thinking about hybrid turbo and larger injectors.. [​IMG]

4. Bloody nora. This is awesome. Dont know where you get the balls to just dismantle your entire car! Hats off to you. :thumbup:

5. Really nice that! Great looking motor, well done mate.

6. Very tidy looking conversion....bhp seems a bit optimistic though :smile:

so whens all the new carbon parts for the meganes being released? :wink:

7. Thank you, balls can't be purchased unfortunately.. Lol

Thank you Nick

Bhp figures will always cause controversy. Lol

I was expecting upto 280 with the goodies that have been put on. My tuner reckons the 63mm hard pipe is helping as its cooling the turbo much better and therefore making it more efficient, ktec's and the forge kit at.51mm is still quite restrictive to airflow. I know his rollers are pretty good but I will be sticking them on Nobles rolling road for a comparison.

We do have several carbon goodies for the Meg but i really should speak to an admin first as I would like to do things properly and hopefully become a trader or sponsor of some sought.

8. Excellent work make glad you have finally got the mistress back on the road

9. You know it Rob, its been far too long off the road..

I'm now looking for a turbo from the Meg 250/265 as I reckon that'll hold the torque a lot better for longer

10. Just a little vid before final mapping...

[video=youtube;Wj7NUWBvTaU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wj7NUWBvTaU[/video]

11. Daz

Daz

Never heard of this place in Bolton, I might look it up!

12. Do so, Ste definitely knows his onions. He's already put a 265 engine in a Clio and is currently putting a 225 motor in a Twingo R.S

13. Read about your car on 197/200.net mate, epic work! Keep it going :smile:

14. Daz

Daz

I'm intrigued in this 'cooler - they might be able to knock up something cheaper than the normal options..

15. This will be one quick clio

Nice mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

16. Looks good, torque curve looks nice for not bending rods too.

17. Ash87

Ash87 RSM Moderator

Top work pal, i follow you on Instagram always intrigued by new pics :smile:

18. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

As I said on 197.net it's a lovely conversion.... We need to organise a local meet, would really like to see this in the flesh.

19. Intrigues me too, Its all magic to me and tbh I'm not technical when it comes to turbos and intercoolers. Lol

20. Just purchased a Megane 250 turbo charger so I'll be swapping it over as soon as it arrives. :smile:

21. Epic build bud

22. It is very quick I have to confess, especially with the Clio gearbox.

I was very pleased with the torque curve when I saw it, so smooth and I guess time will tell with the Rods.

Cheers Ash :smile:

We do, I'd love to test it along side a Meg for comparison purposes :smile:

23. Are the ratios much shorter in the Clio then?

24. Thank you :smile:

They are a lot shorter Chris, it goes through the gears very quickly indeed if you put your foot down. The rate of acceleration is incredible. Looking forward to getting on track to see what it tops out at.

25. Sounds awesome! Make sure to get some video for here.

26. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Awesome car. I would love a 200 with a Megane engine in it. It's how they should have come out the factory!!

27. I'll get some vids done very soon.

Exactly my sentiments Will. It improves the cars abilities 1000% and makes it a real weapon. The 200 was a great car but now it is something else and at a level I never thought possible.

Renaultsport should have put the Meg engine into the Clio and developed the 250 to completely overshadow the Focus RS. How different the landscape would've been..

28. Will.

Indeed. I recon I'll end up doing it in the future. Really have taken a liking to the 200 recently. They look stunning if done correctly.

Fingers crossed that the new breed of Meganes that appear become proper beasts. I recon Renault will release one before Ford release their next one, allowing Ford to beat Renault though :worried:

29. The 250/265 lump is already proving itself to be very easy to extract high power from.

30. Will.

True. And fitting 250 internals, inlet and turbo to the 225/230 will be an easy way to get decent power once parts start becoming more available.

31. 250 turbo will be going on mine at the weekend if it arrives in time. :smile:

32. Will.

Was it easy to find / expensive?

33. Luckily not, the guy who built my engine had one spare. I do have someone else hopefully getting back to me about another one. Can let you know if it becomes available if you are interested Will?

34. Will.

Not looking right now, but maybe interested in putting 250 parts on in the future. Cheers :smile:

35. Daz

Daz

I thought this a while ago - I was wondering how much it would cost too, probably not cheap with donor cars thin on the ground.

36. Probably better to chuck a 250/265 engine in. I know it'll fit in the R26 engine bay but you'd have to use the R26 Gearbox and ECU.

37. Daz

Daz

That won't be cheap either! :smile:

38. Fitted the 250 turbocharger the back end of last week. Was, an absolute pig to reach all the bolts under the manifold but with small hands and many grazes it was done.

The old turbo must've been on its way out when I bought it and the recirculation valve was gone too which points towards why I had so much flyeflutter on lift off. The flutter has now gone totally with the new turbo. I have to admit the flutter did sound epic but I'm happy that the car is now sorted.

First impressions on the 250 turbo are that there isn't actually that much difference in performance. It feels like there is a tiny amount of lag compaired to the 225 unit, however it does feel like it pulls harder and doesn't tail off so quickly at the top end of the rev range. Obviously this could be because the old turbo was shagged but overall really happy with the finished result.

I'd say the 250 turbo with its revised internals is an excellent improvement over the 225 unit and an ideal middle ground mod without the expense of going hybrid. I was going to take pictures but didn't get round to it in the end.

39. have you had the car mapped since fitting the 250 turbocharger?

40. Not yet Steven, it runs ok and I was advised as there's not much difference in the turbos I wouldn't necessarily need one.