250 Slight knocking/tapping on idle

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by scoobyr, May 16, 2014.

1. Hi guys

Not sure if anyone is able to shed any light on this, or if in fact, I am just being paranoid and it's nothing to worry about!

I've noticed the last couple of days that there seems to be a slight knocking/tapping noise coming from the engine when idle, I guess it's more of a knock than a metallic tap.

Car has done 38k, was serviced in November '13 (including new plugs) at 35k, and had another oil change last week (Millers Nanodrive Ester Synthetic Oil), so 3k and 6 months since last oil change.

I've attached a short video below

I noticed it when I got out to open the garage door when I got home, so engine was warm. Not sure if it's just coincidence, but I only noticed this sound after the oil change last week, and don't remember it being there before, car seems to drive fine.

Any help/feedback much appreciated :smile:

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/scoobyr/media/IMG_4542_zpsea2cd98f.mp4.html

2. Pretty sure mine is doing this too with 12k on the clock.

Whether or not it's meant to I don't know. Probably going to have mine checked out soon.

3. Thanks mate, might well be fine, just I'm sure I would have noticed it before.....

4. Mine maybe sounds different in fact, here is my video from a while back.

Mine I think comes from around the belts, maybe it is a normal noise?

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvwwfse61agjybx/2014-04-05%2012.59.08.mp4[/video]

5. Thanks for posting mate, does sound a little different yours, doesn't it.

Maybe I am just paranoid! lol

6. I think it is different yeah, I hate when you hear something on your car and get paranoid, I do this all the time lol!!

Be good if some other people could post videos to see what is normal etc...

Anyone?

7. Mine do similar taping noise. I thought it was related to some electrical parts.

Anyway, we may have "Renault syndrome" he he he :-)

8. Which one sounds like your Dinn? Mine or Scooby?

9. they had a cambelt problem at one point. cant really hear it right on that video

10. None of them. It is more regular, like sound of pendulum on a clock.

11. Generally its injector noise. Renault don't seem to be able to use quiet injectors. Also could be a slightly dry lifter. Most Clio's do exactly the same. Normally nothing to worry about unless it gets much louder.

12. I think that probably describes Scoobys noise, mine to me sounds a little more like a rubbing noise rather than a mechanical sound....

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Sounds normal to me, Mine does it as well and has done since i bought it. Done 20k+ miles and 15odd track days and it hasn't got any worse

14. Both sound normal Jamie? Which video did you listen to?

15. Is the noise coming more from the gearbox side?

Crossers

16. Thanks for the input guys, think it's me just being paranoid :rolleyes:

Will keep an eye on it and report back if any change...

17. Sounds like mine, have been told not to worry as long as it goes once warm....

18. yeah.. mine does goes away when the engine warms.. nothing to worry about?

19. Just been reading through the post on the "other" forum and mine has this rattle noise, is this something that is only sorted out by Reno if the car is still under warranty? Or is it a recall regardless? Thanks

20. Did u get the noise from the gearbox side?

21. Having this same problem. Noise increases with revs.

Seems to be coming from drivers side. any ideas?

22. Reviving this from the dead... Its a faulty cambelt pulley. Ive been in contact with Renault UK and they just mumbled some stuff at me even though the actis solution has been posted previously in this thread.

Wanted me to contact my local dealer to get it booked in for diagnosis but did not confirm the actis solution as apparently Renault UK dont have access to there solutions....

Im not paying 80 quid for someone to listen to my engine and then tell me im going to need a cambelt kit which I will have to pay for becuase its out of warranty even though my car has only done 30k miles.

Anyone had any luck getting this sorted out of warranty ?

23. I've had my cambelt changed along with the other vvt pulley etc less than a year ago. I'm gonna say it's not that... I made a post about the exact same noise, as far as i know me and scooby along with many other still have this noise. Someone replied with a picture of the solution from the dealers from meganesport.

As far as i could see it was to do with the roller assembly. Not really worried.

24. Ovy

Ovy

Right guys I've had various knock clicks rattles ect and have taken a lot of bits off to diagnose on my 250 the first light tap on mine was actually a loose spark plug (will not comment on which garage that was) difficult to diag as the injectors are generally noisey, the second described as a clonk seems to be the flywheel (worst taking up slack from idle)this seems to be just noise no fault. But the clack/knock on mine (sound from belts side is actually the clutch sticking/dragging on the the aircon compressor (Renault Wrongly diagnosed it as alternator pulley). Not saying others we be the same as mine just putting it out there may help may not ?

25. I was told the noise is from the injectors because the engine is direct injection and that makes the injectors noisey

26. To re-alive this thread. Why are injectors so noisey? Mine 275 Trophy does the same sound, and its kinda irritating when in idle. They can be heard from inside the cabin too.

27. Yeah mind sounds weird do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28. hey guys, had to revive this post. My 250 has this same exact sound

My car had the Clutch Replaced something like 5000 kms ago, and all belts replaced 2 weeks ago. the sound happens only on idle and the car pulls perfect. any ideas?

Thank you

29. pretty sure that's dual mass starting to split, does it go away when press clutch ??

30. yes ! i checked it today with a mechanic friend and he told me that the sound is the dmf but since its not that bad yet he told me that i can still use it for a while and then replace it in the near future i dont use the car very much since my work is near my home . Thank you Bobsan

31. It’s quite impressive how lond can keep driving with split dmf some folks get away with months and months

32. I bought a bmw 320d with a noisy dmf in Jan’ 2016.............I really should get around to replacing it! [emoji1787]