265 My Bluefin dyno results...

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by OiNK, May 24, 2014.

1. Just thought I would share this, a lot of people talk about the bluefin map running lean and knocking, and well it turns out they are right. Needless to say I have now removed the map from my car and gone back to standard. I will be emailing superchips with a view to getting my money back, wish me luck lol...

The guys told me it started knocking worst at about 3200rpm when the boost came in hard.

Please note the AFR was taken from a tailpipe reading so might be ever so slightly off.

IMAG0449_zps7dec9efe.jpg

IMAG0448_zps9a935d4c.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  2. What fuel was in the tank?

3. Super unleaded 98ron, the car has never seen any other fuel.

4. The only reason I mention this - and I doubt this will change the results substantially given you're on 98ron already - some maps do prefer 99ron or higher. The k-tech map on my car hesitates under part load with Super97 but is perfectly fine with Super99.

5. I understand why you asked, I'm from Northern Ireland and the best we get is 98 sadly. However as you said yourself I really don't think 99ron would correct how far off this is... Be interesting to see what superchips reply to me with.

6. This isn't a fuel type issue, almost every customer has experienced faulty maps from Bluefin, the clio 197 and 200T boys are suffering similar problems.

After sales support is shocking too, they refuse to admit there's a problem.

7. Good luck, this one is going to be tough. No chance you paid via credit card? Maybe a chargeback is in order if bluefin don't rectify the issues.

8. Sadly not by credit card, depending on their response I could well be posting this of information everywhere on the net, I don't want other people to waste their money or risk harm to their cars...I'll let this forum know what they say.

CHRIS RS265 likes this.
  9. Post facts only to avoid any 'legal' issues ;-)

10. Yeah good point, I mean all I can post is the above pictures which say it all...

11. Trade standards? :confused:

12. To think anything out the box can increase horsepower and not lean out is stupid, you did the right thing by getting the afr checked, loads of people probably won't, end result is a huge repair bill, best way is a stand alone ecu and a dyno session

13. Depending on what their response is to me, that will be an option I've thought of and will keep in mind for sure.

14. Or just custom map the standard ecu, standalone is not needed

15. So,

I have been in talks with superchips about this over the past few weeks, they basically won't give me my money back. They said they would unlock the handset so I could sell it on etc, I just got an email from them today to say;

They have been in touch with K-Tec Racing and provided them with my cars standard map, K-Tec have provided superchips a remap file for my car which superchips have modified so that it can be loaded with the bluefin handset and downloaded from their server.

A strange outcome I thought...

My only issue which I have told them is, I can happily load this new file back onto the car, but it is still going to cost me another £80 for a full health check to make sure all the readings, AFR/knock/boost are healthy. This would be the second £80 spent checking this, interested to hear peoples thoughts?

16. Tell them to refund the original £80 health check as it was only required due to their negligence.

Hardly a good outcome in my books, ktec maps are just as unreliable!

17. I would put money on the original map coming from ktec! Sounds like you complained, they went to source, ktec played with it and offered you a new one.

18. Yeah I wondered that myself, hmmmm, I genuinely don't mind using a map from them so long as the fueling etc is correct and the car is running properly. Only problem like I said is, if I load the new map I have to pay to have the car checked again :worried:

Dilemma.

19. Well,

I put that question to them, and they said that they develope all of their own maps in house. Apparently they are on good terms with ktec so asked them for a favour...

20. if they do they probably went to k-tec and said 'apparently we've fucked this map up and can you do one to see if yours works' - from all i hear regarding maps its all negative from ktec.

i remember about a year ago paul @ RST had a ktec mapped car on his rollers and had to tell k-tec they had fucked up the fuelling... was all over facebook

21. I remember that, proper good old slag off match lol!

Saw David Kirk and Paul having a little chat at FCS a few weeks back, thought to myself at the time 'awkward' !

22. Hmmmm, maybe if there were any issues they have been resolved based on that incident then? You'd like to think so anyway...Really am in two minds, stick it on and get it checked, or just keep demanding money back.

23. If you use it and get it checked and it's still no good it only gives you more ammo for a full refund? You need to press the point that your a highly regarded forum member and willing to put your experiences across.

24. Just wanted to update the forum.

I had the new map file tested by the same company as the first file. Amazingly the new file made less power than the standard map. My standard file made 268bhp.

The new file they provided made 264bhp.

They have still refused to refund me, I am currently seeking legal advice.

Keep you all posted.

25. FLOL! Oh dear so thats a double whammy of fail from both K-Tax and Superlean (see what i did there?) :wink:

Im just glad that people are finally paying attention to what everyone has been saying all along. Good luck with your refund OiNK

26. small claims court, useless feckers. RS tuning all day long, worth the travel wherever you live.

27. Currently speaking with trading standards, I have a call with them later today. Whatever needs done I will be doing it to get my money back.

I will post photos of the graph from the testing of my second file later when I get home :smile:

28. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

K-tec mapping FTL. I don't think I've ever heard of a map that they have done that when the customer has taken it to a RR (outside of K-tec), they haven't seen problems with the map.

29. Did you pay by credit card ? Chargeback ?

30. No sadly just via my current account.

31. Anyway, here are the graphs. I arrived at the garage running the standard file, so it was tested first as you can see by the timings at the bottom.

After allowing cool down to apply the remap, the bluefin/ktec file was then tested. Impressive isn't it?

veryps.jpg

20qf0ap.jpg

32. i would post that on Facebook, first remap to get worse results, epic.

33. Hang on a minute.These figures are at the wheels. I suspect so and a correction factor of around 15% would be added to guess fly power so thats 303 ish BHP at fly.

As a car gets leaner it also produces more power. So the traces look correct. Run richer and you drop power.

that seems to tie up ok to me ?

34. It's OEM map vs remap not his first faulty vs updated map.

I would imagine that's an estimated at the fly though as no standard meg makes 300bhp?

Superlean, love it!!!

35. I take it with these bluefin's they just take one from stock, load a map onto it and ship it to you.

What I mean by that is that there isnt a car specific Bluefin 'hardware' handheld device.

For me its far too close to standard (weather it lean, rich or spot on) to rule out them uploading the wrong file like a standard/back-up file instead of a remapped file...

Dont get me wrong its been delt with in totally the wrong way on there part !

36. I have been more than reasonable with them, they simply are not interested.

After speaking the trading standards and getting advice, they will be getting a letter in the post, followed by a visit to the small claims court if I do not get refund before then.

37. If you do go the small claims court route, i'd add on the 2X RR diagnostic runs to the claim too

38. I will be, trading standards told me those can be added as a consequential loss.

39. TBH if i were you i'd probably just stick the claim in now anyway (Via moneyclaim online) last time i did one it only cost £75 (IIRC) which you claim back if successful.

But from the sounds of it super chips aren't going to budge on the refund so i'd be progressing the case if it were me.

If you do decide to remote map it again though i'd go with Fastchip, very well respected for mobile mapping (he used to based in Holland, think he's now in the Philippines ) , he's got customers all over the world and even designed the box that paul from RStuning uses for his remote mapping so IMO VERY knowledgeable with Renaults! I've not heard a bad thing about his maps tbh!

40. Thanks, I am going to just stick with the advice of trading standards and allow them 14 days to respond to my letter which will go out via recorded delivery.

If they ignore it, then I will go via small claims. Trading standards told me it costs £50, either way I am currently £495 out of pocket.

Will let everyone know of any status updates.