Pilot super sports or pilot sport 3 again?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Tom1, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Need to get 2 new front tyres on the 250 soonish, and was wondering if anyone has any personal feedback on either of these tyres? Currently got the PS3 fitted and love them, so am wondering if there is much point in changing to PSS? Thanks!

2. Thought the PS3's were pretty crap when I had them on mine. Not as bad as the pirellis still on the back but not great.

If you can find PSS in the right size they're supposed to be pretty good.

I went with some Vredestein Ultra vorti and have found them to be pretty good, much more consistent across varied driving and conditions. Feel similar in grip and feedback to eagle f1's but have a much stiffer sidewall.

3. I would stick with the PS3 Tom. I have never used the PSS so i cant comment on them (although yes, they are supposed to be ACE!). I would stick the PS3 as they are a superb tyre all round. I have always used them on my clio trophy and the same with my 250. I dont think you are going to find much difference in the PS3 vs PSS if your just using them on the road with the odd blast.

Im in need of two new fronts in a few months time and its PS3 again for me.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/michelin/pilot-sport-ps3/235-40-zr18-95y-59559

Thats the cheapest i have found them.

Elliott.

4. PSS all day , every day.

Rain on the PS3 parade from a great height.

5. You'll not get a better all round tyre than the PSS, unreal in the wet, just about flat out round Cadwell with them on in pissing down rain, brilliant in the dry, google them and have a read

6. Thanks for the comments so far guys! Interesting to hear some people don't rate the PS3! Reading most reviews on this tyre it gets preety much full marks on everything! Will have a proper look at the PSS now though, see what price I can find.
    Another thing, the size I have on my fronts now are, 235/40/18 (95y), is this correct for the standard size?

7. Pss > ps2 > ps3

8. 235/40/18 95(Y) is the correct size. Camskill are doing PS2's for a good price at the moment which is a much better tyre than the PS3.

9. Another one for pss here, I've got brand new ones all round on my 225, and my god they are good, in the small summer we had here in Scotland lol they were amazing once warm, now we get loads of rain here and once again can't fault them in the wet still got good grip

on the other hand I've never had ps3's so cant really comment on them, if it's just for normal road driving and if the ps3's are cheaper then stick with them, loads of people swear by them to

10. Seconded in both respects I'm on my second set of Vortis and can't fault them for less than a tonne each

For the price and the grip the pS3 is gash (don't get me started on the wear).

id go PSS I think theyre about £10 a corner more on tyre leader,

11. PSS' from here... the PS3 are not the successor to the PS2'S as they are actually not that much of a fast road tyre but more of an economy tyre (in the sense of more for your money etc.) Not as in budget spec type thing!

12. Ok after listening to everyone's feedback it seems the PSS are the ones to go for now. I've found these in the correct size for £115.69 each, which I'm happy with. Looked at the Vredestein*Ultrac Vorti, too and can get them for £95.89 each. I think I'd rather keep with michelin so looks like PSS are the ones I'm going for now!

13. Good choice :wink:

14. Yep pss the ones to go for.

15. I'd go for the PSS too if I could get them in the right size so you're doing the right thing :wink:

16. Oli

Oli

In 235/40/18? If so please can you post a link etc.. Thanks

17. Oli

Oli

Cheers! I have just ordered, be interesting to see if it works. I just looked at the last thread and it seems at least one forum member had success, so fingers crossed.

18. Yep that's where I have seen them on tyre leader.com too! I'm ordering mine in the morning so hope you haven't taken the last ones :wink: haha!

19. It did work for someone on here , when I ordered them the order went though then they sent me an email confirming a refund a few days later :worried:

20. Oooo 235... if these fall out of be you could always go for the 225... they are the same size as the 235 PS2's (physically) I had on before... and look larger than the 235 hankooks I had on previously.

21. I've got michelin pss 235 40 18 95y xl from tyre leader and as everyone else I highly recommend them. I hope to do a track day early next year so can't comment on how good they are on track, but for spirited driving they are awesome, the grip is unreal.

Apparently the reason they are difficult to find is because they are only for sale to the American and German market. I made sure they had the European marking and also phoned michelin to confirm they were not fake as I could not find this size anywhere on a UK companies website.

22. What wet rating do they have?

23. I'm not sure tbh but I'm sure it will be similar to other sizes which is A fuel efficiency: E and noise: 70db

24. Pretty sure it's an A rating.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  25. Right just got home from work ready to buy the PSS, and as a couple have mentioned above they are no longer listed on tyre leader!! So what to do, quite a few are saying good things about the PS2 and this is in stock at a good price, shall I just got for these or wait for PSS to be in stock again?

26. Depends how desperate you are for new rubber. The ps2 is an excellent tyre, there really is bugger all in it. If there at a very good price then I'd get them. There certainly not ditch finders in comparison to the PSS.

27. I'd say PS2' they are a great tyre.. although feom memory can be a bit wild in the wet... otherwise the PSS' in 225 guise

28. Both fronts have just gone under the legal limit, so need them asap really. I'm happy paying £125 a tyre for something that I know is going to perform well! Can always get the PSS when the rears wear out I suppose :smile:

29. These seem to come and go on tyre leader.

30. Why don't you just order them in 245 from camskill? Physically side by side there's a minute difference in size. That's what I'll be doing. Jamie also runs 245 on his 250.

31. Oli

Oli

Just for information, the order I placed on Tyre Leader last night for 4xPSS was cancelled by them this afternoon (doh!).

32. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

PS3s are no where near as good as PS2s or PSS.

33. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

PSS, Im running them in 245 flavour on mine at the moment.

Mega tyres, Just as good if not better than AD08's in the dry and unbelievably good in the wet.

34. No way!! That makes me feel a little better about missing out on them haha!:wink:

35. Are they 245/40/18 ?

36. They are bud.