250 Suspension knock under full lock

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by alexrobinson202, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Morning all,

I have a suspension problem that I've been trying to diagnose for a while.

When turning at low speeds and high lock (more than 3/4 of a turn either way), the car makes a knocking noise which can also be felt through the steering wheel. It gets worse at higher steer angles.

I've had a garage look at it a couple of times and they have confirmed there is no play in the hubs, track-rod ends, etc.

Any other ideas what this could be? I'm thinking it could be driveshaft / CV joint related?

Any help / advice appreciated!

Cheers
    Alex

2. Mine does this too. Also had someone look at it and everything is spot on. My last car, an E60 530D also done this. And also had nothing wrong with it. (Suspension wise anyway)

Mine also seems to do it at slow speed full lock like pulling out of a parking space.

3. Good to know it's not just mine! So nobody could find fault? It feels like something is rocking around or binding during turning, same with yours?

4. I should add, my noise is a single knock, doesn't repeat. And through the wheel it feels like it "hops"

5. Nope, I've had a renault dealer look and also another garage who I trust. Neither could find anything wrong.

To me it feels like a spring rotating under compression and "popping" back. But I don't know. It's impossible to replicate on a ramp.

6. Nmp

Nmp

Cv joint

7. It will be lsd, totally normal.

8. Oh is that right? It is a Cup with the proper LSD. But I'm not sure if it's always done it?

CV joint is the other option, are there any other symptoms I could check?

9. Does you make the noise on either direction lock?

10. Yes, but it's worse when turning right

11. I mentioned it too a mechanic at a rolling road day, and straight away ask if it had lsd, and it would be that. Ive also read it on here and meganesport.net.

12. It seems most cups with lsd do this, mine did it worse when the tyres got low

13. Thanks for the responses guys - I'll put it down to the LSD unless it's gets worse! Cheers

14. Does it knock when around corners while applying gas and when freewheeling (not applying gas).

15. Yes it does it for both, though we're talking very low speed here as it's more than 3/4 of a turn of lock

16. Sounds exactly like my drive shaft nock on my 230

17. How did you fix it? Cheers

18. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

New driveshaft.

The skipping/jumping noise and feeling when on full lock is a perfectly normal trait of a FWD car with wide track and an LSD

PS, I would also get your hub bearings checked, Knocking can be a sign that they are on the way out!

19. Hopefully it is just the LSD then, I'll keep an eye on it. Hub bearings have been checked and are fine thankfully!

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

It sounds worse when the tyres are low on tread as well.

Lucky you, I have just had all 4 of mine done. 49k on the clock and used properly mind you

21. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Actually now i think about it, Theres been a couple cases of the rear bush on the suspension arm going and causing the sam symptoms

22. Bottom arm's are common also !

23. I had similar but knocking happened when at low speeds with slight gas on turning. It got worse over time and sorted by replacing driveshaft. Probs just keep an eye on it for now to see if it worsens.

24. Meg II Cups have got LSD?? I thought it was just the R26?

I'm also experiencing knocking in my Megane, but then who isn't!?

Both driveshafts have been replaced, although I haven't ruled out wishbone bush/and or ball joint or swivel hub bearings . . .

Mainly noticeable when pulling away from stand still turning right (especially if car has been sitting there).

A strained repetitive knocking . . .

25. There is an old school technique for working out whats knackered ,but unsure if it works on the megs fancy pants suspension.

1) Jack up the car so that one of the front wheels is off the ground.

2) Place hands at 9oClock position and 3oClock postition. Try and turn the wheel simulating it turning ( pull one side of the wheel towards , whilst pushing with the other ) if that knocks its track rod ends

3) 12 and 6 postions. Try and push at opposite ends. cluncking its the top mounts.

26. The only thing I may imagine now is your LSD broke down :-)

27. You only use LSD if driving like a tit.

28. Well ive felt the lsd working, and i definatrly werent driving like a tit.

29. No. You are wrong. You need it on a daily basis. Lack of LSD transfers your car into Skoda Citygo 1.0 12V. You may also crash into Tesco :-)

30. To the OP, my 265 did it from brand new, renault told me it was the lsd when i next took it in

31. No because i know im right as my meg has lsd, and ive felt it working when driving moderate, and when it knocks trying to work. No ones saying on here you need it, hes asking about the knocking.

32. All this LSD talk and which version of RS is better is getting silly now.

33. Cheers - I might try this at the weekend!

34. We got conclusion at least. It is all because of their wifes :-)

35. I though it was just the tyres slipping?