Windscreen cowl drains

Discussion in 'Exterior & Bodywork' started by wanner69, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Hi guys, I can hear water sloshing around when driving and it's coming from the windscreen cowl area. I've poked the little drain holes but can only get a couple of inches down. Is there an easy fix for this. Model is rs250 thanks

2. I've literally just done this on my 250. I used a long cable tie to free up the crap whilst spraying it with an hose pipe, It worked pretty well and completely cleared up the drain holes.

3. I would remove the wipers and panel and clean up the area and clearing the holes.

4. Yep it's a must really, 5 min job to do though. It's a good opportunity to get a detailing brush in there to clean it out :smile:.

5. ^OCD? Hee hee love it.

6. Thanks for the replies lads, never removed wipers and panel, easy enough job then? Quick pointers would be great

7. I would invest in a bearing/wiper puller £10 most from eBay or halfords then remove wipers, few clips to remove trim.

8. I tried removing wipers and bloody hell they were hard.. gave up in the end... will be getting one of these wiper pully things like losi says

9. Haha :smiley:

10. sink unblocker brushes (sink serpent) Ive managed to pinch the smaller brush off the wife
    works a treat
    can even get deep into the exhaust tips :wink: lol

11. I thought my wiper arms were hard to remove as well, but eventually got them off - the trick is spray the shaft graciously with something like WD40, let it soak for a while and then pull the wiper arm up and down as if you were raising them from the windscreen. The seesaw effect on the shaft causes them to just plop out.

When you remove the plastic panel you'll see two bigger drain holes, but they often get blocked with crap. If they get fully blocked, eventually the water comes in the cabin thorough the ventilation duct and then you have a lot of mess in the interior - people had to resort to all sorts of things to get rid of the damp lining and everything. So definitely worth making sure those holes are clear!

Once you've see what dirt there is just where the cabin air intake is (OCD or not), I bet you'll want to clean it... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  12. Update, seeing as my car was in for service I let the dealer do it, they indeed said the drains were blocked as was my footwell wet. The technician I spoke with who done the job said they made a small modification then poured a solution down the lines to help prevent crap build up. Don't know what the mod was, never asked. Anyway sorted, for now:smile:

13. They drilled some holes in your footwell... hehe