K-Tec induction kit v Modified Air box.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by james157, Oct 28, 2013.

1. My 225 trophy has a k-tec induction kit which was fitted 1 week before I brought the car. I also got the standard air box with a green panel filter.

Question is Is there any performance difference as the loud whooshing from the filter every time I accelerate or lift off is doing my head in.
    Im guessing the modified air box will be quieter.

Car is remapped if that makes any difference.

2. I'm thinking of getting the k-Tec induction kit I have the air box mod with itg filter I'm guessing the air box mod is not as loud

3. Im going to fit the airbox at the weekend to see how it feels/sounds.
    Sounds like ive got darth vader under my bonnet with the k-tec.

I must be getting old 10 years ago I would of loved this.

4. Lol, keep me in mind if you want to get rid buddy I'm not far away from you either

5. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

if you get rid of the ktec system and fancy sorting something out gimme a shout mate.

6. I beat ya to it naith by a min lol

7. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

i'll just ban you...

only playing, fair does. :smile:

8. Lol swine, Ive been thinking about one for a while ideally I'd like to hear it first but the meg is too quite for me I like loud and proud lol

9. Goon

Goon Banned

If you want to swap your air box for mine that has already been modified let me know. I'd swap and give money your way.

10. Tbh induction kits are more for noise and only benefit performance if mounted at the front of the car/or in direct cold airflow, the modified airbox with performance filter will be more than adequate from a power gain point of view as well as only giving off a slight induction noise that you will hardly hear. Open induction can cause power losses due to heat soak too.....

Induction vs std airbox (or modified) has been an ongoing argument for all car nuts for years.... each will have their own opinion which is all good.

11. Tou can put a ktec esc induction kit together for fairly cheap.. ive got one together for £60 with an itg filter... just haven't fitted it yet... lol

12. Removed the k tec filter earlier and the sound difference is amazing, its actually too quiet now I cant hear any induction/wastegate noise at all.

Will see if there is any difference in the way it drives during the week when i get to drive it properly. Only went for a quick road test and it was slinging it down so couldnt really give it some.

I modified the airbox a bit different to how ive seen it on here so i could reroute the 3" ducting i used with the k tec straight into the airbox from the front bumper.The standard one was very small in comparison at only 58mm. I also opened the original inlet on the air box to 3" from standard.

20130627_120500.jpg
    20131102_110805.jpg
    20131102_111057.jpg

Slightly trimmed the battery tray and ecu bracket so it would all fit back together.
    20131102_121802.jpg
    Its a bit tight but it went back nicely.
    20131102_134042.jpg

13. Just for comparison the standard ducting next to the 3" ducting I used.

20131102_154826.jpg
    20131102_154848.jpg

14. Been driving the car today and it feels a bit more responsive low down in the rev range but not as much kick once the turbo starts spinning and the boost comes on.
    I miss the wastegate noise when lifting off but not the induction noise when accelerating.

Whats the going rate for the K-tec induction kit?
    Its probably done less than 1000 miles. I trimmed the bottom corner off the heat shield so I could use the 3" ducting.

15. Nice job James.

Been thinking doing the same. I have a cold air feed with a 100mm hose and a BMC CDA filter.

Its been like that for over 2 years now, and I must be getting old as the induction noise is starting to bother me.

I just dont want to chop my stock air-box, and if I do it I would like to somehow manage to fit a big intake so it will look like stock again.

I think someone on the meganesport.net manage to do this.

16. You could just cut the bottom left corner out for the air feed and route it down like I originally did for the k-tec. It cant be seen down there and will look standard. I already cut the airbox or I would of done it that way.

17. New k-Tec induction kit is around £170 I belive but there is a remap and induction deal going on atm that's quite tempting and with that the kit cost around £120 when broken down