Willdot's 225 F1 blog

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Will., Jul 24, 2013.

1. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Hey guys. Had the Megane for nearly a month. Loving it so far. Such a step up from the Clio I had. Can't wait to get it out on track.

Plans at the moment are some Cooksport springs, an exhaust of some sort (either back box chop or a Miltek) and to use my ITG filter in some form of induction system (yet to be made).

Got the Polish to give it it's first wash today ready for Castle Combe on Saturday and then treated it to some Demon Shine for a shine and some photos.

8680473229_e617eb5c98.jpg
    Untitled by willdot1, on Flickr

8680469783_3d54e996c5.jpg

8681581140_d441d567af.jpg

8680473539_244222ecd6.jpg

I'll keep you updated.

2. Will.

Should be at the ring right now, but due to some unorganization, I'm not frown.gif But I've booked onto the RS day at Oulton next month so all is good.

I fitted some new HIDs the other day as one of mine kept going out randomly due to a ****ed ballast. It's amazing to have lights that stay on now. Fitted some front silvervisions as well and got some rears on order.

Got black diamond covers from front and back to collect from post office tomorrow.

Gave the car a wash and polish (half with polish, ran out, finished with Demon Shine).

9270180665_c857c7ecd9.jpg
    1 by willdot1, on Flickr

9272956174_1ed9b835eb.jpg
    2 by willdot1, on Flickr

9272948064_675f3f9b9b.jpg
    3 by willdot1, on Flickr

9270149181_a4d5ae46cf.jpg
    4 by willdot1, on Flickr

9270138321_79bbfe6653.jpg
    5 by willdot1, on Flickr

I'm no whiz with the camera, but had this thing for 2 years so trying to see what I can do with it.

I have a set of Cooksport springs that I need to go pick up from Josh and fit. Probably do this next week. Can't wait. The one thing that annoys me about the look of the car is how high it sits right now.

Then I'll need to fit some new rear discs and pads and the current set have seen better days. After that I'm going to be spraying the calipers red and doing a front brake overhaul. This will probably be after Oulton though.

Can't remember if I've mentioned this but I am currently developing my own scanguage device using a Raspberry Pi (google it) and a Phidget screen (google it).

So far I have it displaying the time and counting up. Need to get some buttons for it and continue working on coding so that it will read live information from the OBDII port on the car. Unsure where to mount it at the moment as the screen is slightly too small to replace the built in screen on top of the dash.

Quick pic (it's been counting for 300 + minutes lol).
    9270200959_32e5be43e0.jpg

Oh and I need to replace my gear gaitor surround. Mine snapped and it annoys me changing gear that the surround follows me where I put it.

3. Will.

Fitted the badge covers this morning. Love them. Finishes the front end off. Rear end still needs some better tailpipes and I need to fit the 't' to my Renault Sport badge.

[TABLE="class: ncode_imageresizer_warning, width: 640"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: td1, width: 20"] wol_error.gif [/TD]
    [TD="class: td2"]Click this bar to view the full image.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

[TABLE="class: ncode_imageresizer_warning, width: 640"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: td1, width: 20"] wol_error.gif [/TD]
    [TD="class: td2"]Click this bar to view the full image.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

4. TimR26

TimR26 South Central RSM Area Rep

Shed :wink:

5. Will.

Removed the standard air box and fitted an ITG open filter. Love the noise it makes!!

[​IMG]

Also removed the plastics from the front bumper under the bonnet. Didn't like them. Made the engine bay look tiny.

[​IMG]

6. Will.

Pot kettle black.

7. I remember your username from CS.net, nice looking Meg you've got!

8. Will.

Cheers mate :smile:

Here's a few pics of the Megane at French Car Show on the Cooksport stand. Josh worked his magic the night before FCS and fitted a set of Cooksport springs to it. Haven't been able to drive in it much since then but initial thoughts are that there is less body roll around bends and it feels more planted coming out of a corner when putting the power down.

However on Friday I was following Luke. on a quick blast on the way to Joshs, and he was in the Cooksport race Megane, and it's unbelievable how well that thing shifts through the corners. I've been passenger in it a few times but you never realise how badly the Meganes are at being able to put power down through corners. Granted the race car has a plated diff and I have a standard diff, but even still, I just couldn't keep up out the corners.

Anyway, here are some pics that my little brother took of my Megane on Saturday at FCS.

9404462762_abd273f829.jpg
    IMG_5950 by willdot1, on Flickr

9404439922_71783b59f7.jpg
    IMG_5952 by willdot1, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2013
  9. Still can't make my mind up on cooksport springs. You car is looking sweet though Will.

10. Will.

Cheers mate:smile: They still need to settle. The springs would have only been on the car in that picture for about 14 hours or so lol. The rear a bit lower in that picture and I'll be happy with the stance.

11. Had any problems with scraping on stuff yet?

12. Will.

Nope nothing yet. I live around quite a few speed bumps and so does the mrs and nothing yet. On the way back from Josh's there are a set of speed bumps and the car went over them just fine.

Parking on Lukes. drive might be a different story though as it would scrap if you didn't get the angle right on standard springs. Not looking forward to trying that on these. That is an awkward drive to park on though.

13. That's what I was wanting to hear cause it does look pretty low. How much were the springs?

14. Will.

15. Car looks beautiful, love the stance and very interested in the scanguage you are developing. I'll be keeping my eye on this one :smile:

16. Very nice mate, best colour too :-)

loving the sun visor vinyl and cooksport decal mate

17. Will.

Cheers. It will certainly be a challenge and involve a lot of testing to get it right. However it'll be worth it in the end.

Cheers mate. Need to get a new one on there though. It was a cheap Halfords one and it creased to fuck when trying to apply it.

18. Definitely worth it in the long run, I'm sure a few traders will be interested in retailing them for you.. :wink:

19. Will.

Wouldn't be worth it. Scan gauge is around £120 iirc. :worried:

This so far:
    Raspberry pi: £35
    Case: £10
    SD card: £15
    Screen: Worth £100 (got it free from the college I currently work at because they never got used.

The only bit that I could sell is the code if people bought the parts themselves.

This is purely a self project to build my skills.

20. Ash87

Ash87 RSM Moderator

Skills? ...

21. Will.

Aye. That's right pizza boy.

22. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

car looks 100000% times better on them springs.

23. Ash87

Ash87 RSM Moderator

True Dat!

24. Will.

Brief update.

Been working on my scan gauge replacement recently. Managed to get something working last night and this morning on the way to work I had it display my boost reading and revs.

Revs doesn't work so well because it doesn't update quicker enough but boost worked just fine.

y4uga2y3.jpg

25. Car Looks Great!!!

Maybe a stupid question... did you add a Joiner on your induction hose to allow the filter to connect to it?

26. Will.

Cheers mate.

Nope it was fitted straight on. I have a large ITG filter to fit soon. Just need to get a Forge intake hose and a 90 degree reducer for it to fit.

27. Great stuff. do you know the diameter of the filter neck you currently using bud?

28. Will.

Can't remember off the top of my head. 70-73 mm I think. I'll check for you later and post a link to the camskill website where the filter can be bought.

Are you after the size of the one on there or the one that's going on?

29. Thanks mate. Im after the one you have on there.

30. Will.

Oh hai working display. Finally got it displaying data properly and working. Only problem is that it will update every second which means that the boost and throttle position aren't accurate at that moment in time. Will need to adjust the timing.

And to think, this would have only cost me £40 by the time I'm done and I can make it display anything I want and do everything a scan gauge can do and more. Not bad.

yvaje7yb.jpg

It's running off my laptop at the moment so the next stage is to get it working on my Raspberry Pi and then get it all plumbed in.

31. Car looks mint will, cracking job

32. Will.

Cheers mate :smile:

33. Hello will, saw this at the FCS last year looked mint. pictures look great too

34. Will.

Thanks :smile: remember seeing yours too on the stand behind. Samco wasn't it? Car was looking amazing. So clean!

35. Ash87

Ash87 RSM Moderator

you making any more of them now you know how? :wink:

36. Will.

Might be able to make some if I can find a different screen to use. The one I have cost £100 a few years back (and that's a college buying it at education rate). If I can find a decent screen to use, I might be able to make some more up and install them.

37. yes I was with the samco lot that day. I do try and get it as clean as I can cheers,.

38. Will.

Right. So I finally finished my own scan gauge last month. What a pain in the ass it's been.

Here is the Raspberry Pi computer, hiding away behind where the screen is.

[​IMG]

And here is the screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to get the buttons hooked up to enable different views now. Want to get fault codes etc.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpeg
      3.jpeg
      File size:
      772 KB
      Views:
  39. Will.

Sold this over the weekend. Hadn't it for nearly 4 years. Was sad to see it go but it's replacement comes tomorrow. Another RenaultSport. Watch this space.

L-1011 and Gavin. like this.