The R26 Project (picture heavy)

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Beasley230, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Hi all , I'm new to the forum , thought I'd intro myself finally , I've been a member on Cliosport.net for a while, had a 172 which didn't last long (terminal engine failure under warranty) and vowed never to own a Renault again, so few weeks later I did what I do best ignored myself a bought a 182 from auction ! Lol

Heres a before and after

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it had a hard life up until I got it from auction, I spent a fortune making it right and loved the car to bits ! But the time had come and I had to let it go !

So the replacement was sourced and price agreed , Black R26 number 2291!

Pictures from the website

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a standard model R26 megane , with 48,000 miles on the clock and the optional Lux pack (full leather with arm rest )

[​IMG]

there was a few things that needed doing straight away and being a mechanic I agreed a price I was happy with ! As a few of you keen eyes can tell, the decal kit is a aftermarket , I believe fitted by the second owner , as it came with the the decal delete!

Ill add more as I've gone along to where I am now :smile:

cheers all comments and opinions welcome :smile:

2. Well the first weekend I had a chance to get myself with the car I noticed some bits and bobs, first of all, there was a headlight out :@

i knew what they are like , and I wanted to fit HID bulbs anyway so I ordered them and ripped it apart

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some people say you can fit them through the arch but with wanting to cut the backing covers and locate them properly , I decided to just remove the bumper , the found that somebody has previously fitted HIDs and the covers were already cut :@

oh well all sorted

[​IMG]

driving is a lot better , I missed the xenons from the Clio, and this had everything bar that, so these made me feel right at home!

3. Next was that Megane badge :@

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

saw other people had removed them and it makes the back end look a little cleaner ! So I ripped it off , also noticed how bad this car needs machine polishing ! Something which I'm trying to learn myself so will be done in due course with a proper DA !

4. Next up was the good deep clean that was needed , my Clio was easy to keep clean, whose idea was it to buy a black car? Lol anyway I cracked on

Gave it a good snowfoam

[​IMG]

It was really filthy so clay barred the car , worst I've ever done, also times like this make you realise how much bigger this is than a 182 haha that took me about 1-2 clay bar this took me about 3 hours lol

Anyway, clay barred and washed down I polished it by hand till I get a DA, and then applied the Autobrite Hellshine Abyss sealant , this is my first use of this and it's awesome, water behaviour / sheeting is awesome! And it beads really well which is rare for a sealant !

Some finished photos with my proper camera not horrible iPhone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also gave the leather some treatment to protect and clean it

[​IMG]

came out well! But will be happier when it's DA'd

Also got rid of the horrible wiperblades , they were rotten and had gone hard, people actually jumped on the pavement they were that loud lol

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

5. The next plans are following

I normally do all my own work, however , Cambelts on these are notoriously painful , and I work for a Nissan/Reanult main dealer so get staff discount on all parts !

I decided to order all the bits , Cambelt kit water pump aux kit , and let Birchdown motors fit it , they have done them before for me and they have all the kit saves me buying it, and cost wise it wasn't much different to buying the tools ! This way i also have the proof of fitting for next owner and a warranty

The bits are here waiting and the car is booked in on the 11th of April to all be fitted :smile:

Another big thing was the horrific brakes , they need love , while I did the HIDS I took a wheel off to inspect and found the reason the pedals on its ar*e , the pads are stuck in the caliper at a angle, I was going to try save them , but the pads were heavily worn and the discs are fooooked !

The rears also need discs but there's some left on the pads , so I'll wait till they wear and get the full discs pads bearing ABS rings etc

So after much deliberation on what to replace the front with , I wanted the Renault drilled discs but , after much talking around, people warned me off them , as they crack and the price is stupid even with staff discount !

So spoke to G172 on CS, he's managed to get me a set of Brembo High carbon discs (had these on my 182) and a set on Mintex M1144 pads , impressed with his prices and took less that 12 hours to pay and have them delivered ! What a guy

Came home to this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cant wait to fit them now, also have a bloke who made me braided lines on the Clio, there were awesome and very cheap, so I messaged him on the off chance , he's managed to do me a full set front and rear of braided brake lines for the megane , in Brembo red , for £35 delivered !

Waiting on these to land now then fit it all!

Not it bad for a couple of weeks ownership!

More to come , want to sort the rear brakes , a half decent CD player, some good gearbox oil, a drivers door lock switch , and then the plans for more power , fancy about 270-280 bhp which seams achievable with a induction mods, intercooler , injectors , exhaust and map !

RS tuning exhaust and maps looking promising ! But may go for the ktec exhaust

And a R26 R Spoiler with staff discount is on the cards I reckon !

And that's where I am now, hopefully more to come and I'll keep this updated , all comments welcome !

6. Looking good so far mate. Leather seats look loads better after a clean.

Dave

7. Awesome have you got the guys details for the braided lines?

8. Nice car and write up fella!

9. Thank you :smile: hopefully it'll be up to standard fairly sharpish!

When I have had mine and inspected them I can put you in touch if you'd like? Don't like giving numbers out until I'm happy with the product lol although in fairness he did my last set and they were fine!

yeah 2bh the interior really needed a good clean, there's jay everywhere :@ lol I've got most of it up but there's still bits, the leather is better treated feels better too! The door cards had all white water marks I think , so they came up loads better too :smile:

10. Mush have literally pressed send on that last message and then there was a knock at the door

[​IMG]

Look absolutely spot on :smile: when they are on and tested I will pass around :smile:

11. PS If anybody does want the email address of the braided hoses , I now have it , PM me , and I'll send you the address , they are £45 delivered to your door ! ( I got best mates discount he made nothing on them)

let me know :smile:

12. Yesterday was spent advising my friend on how to spray some bits on his type R

We had some extra Milano Red, so I thought I'd make a start on the megane engine cover, I'm not finished by any means, I'm going to paint the raised bits at the back and possibly the raised inlet pipe bit gloss black

But this is it painted Red for now

[​IMG]

13. Nice looking car mate welcome to the team :smile:

14. Dan

Dan

Looking good.. Welcome along

15. cheers mate :smile: had a look at your build thread , car looks awesome , some great inspiration mate !

cheers mate, have some good plans for it! :smile:

Been looking at this "airbox mod" but not sure what to do, also about possibly using a blanking plate to get a chatter ? What's do people recommend ?

16. Yes to both, that's exactly how mine is set up and I love the noise!

17. Fantastic tell me more then, haha how much of the airbox do you remove it is a case of , cut the original inlet pipe out?

And mid the blanking plate is it simple just blank it off and leave it? Do you need anything else ? Haha
    sorry about all the questions!

Also any vids ? Lol

18. Haha cheers mate airbox mod is simple cut as much as you like i left four or five sqaures at the top and went straight up from the original pipe theres loads of info and help available here

19. Awesome thought it was simple as that but never start cutting just yet lol any photos mate ?

i had a look for photos but can't see much really :/

20. Here's mine mate, took all of 5 mins to do with a grinder and a file to neaten up:

he8y4ype.jpg

The blanking plate is a bit of a bastard to fit, only 3 screws to take off to remove the standard re-circ valve but it's a sod to get to!

I was running a standard re-circ valve and forge dump valve so I just fitted a blanking plate and blanked off where the dump valve was and now all is sweet!

I might have a vid somewhere I'll try and fish it out.... If not I'll try and make another!

21. Righttt i I see that's better ! Debating if I want a dump valve the sound becomes abit annoying after a while imo lol

22. That similar to mine could be the same even recirc plate is a bastard but be patient and it can be done it helps to have a selection of ten mil spanners

23. I've just bought a modified air box , save cutting mine up, do you run yours just with the blanking plate and airbox then?

24. Modified airbox on order

[​IMG]

going to get hold of a performance panel filter too soon ! Although maybe next month , I've spent enough this month lol

25. Thats a full chop lol alrhough if you have bought it you can always swap back if you dont like it i use this filter in mine
    http://www.rstuning.co.uk/airfilter...renault-megane-225r26-panel-filter-p-187.html
    I dont think theres much difference between panel filter brands so any will do i use a bailey dump valve at the monent but am wanting to swap it for a forge one as you can adjust them to suit your level of boost

26. Ahh fair play, will you be selling the full baileys ? It just the dump valve ? Maybe interested :wink:

Any difference in the full chop? Lol I decided like you say I can always swap it back !

I will look into that filter as well cheers mate !

27. If not I have a bayleys dump valve sitting on top of my tool box that I can sell if egg cakes keeps his

28. Im looking at a full kit with black hoses mine has blue hoses and the baileys id be after about 40 quid for valve fitting kit including a blanking plate i dont think iv had it on for 1000 miles yet i like the sound but as im toying with the idea of going stage two id like to know my valve can handle the extra boost depending how much u want one it may be for sale in the next two weeks ill give you first refusal

29. I dont have a pic of my chop but this is how much i removed
    [​IMG]
    Also tuis is my engine bay you can see the bov in the middle
    [​IMG]

30. Dp ypu have the full kit or just the dump valve? id be intrested if eggcake hangs on to his mate defo !

Id love first refusuals! would i need any extras to fit that to my car ? or would it be the full kit ? if soo ill take that at £40 when you ready mate !

31. I don't hAve blanking plate forsale as I use myn but it's the dump valve. Vac hose. T peace. And an alluminium joiner. Tbh if u can get all that of egg cakes for 40 I'd go for his mate

32. It will be full kit you won't need a thing give me a week or so to see if I can afford one and buy one and fit one lol I'll let you know if u like it will be plus postage it is cheap tho I paid 70 without a blanking piece and that cost 25 quid from k tec I will send you the one that comes with the new kit

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  33. Appreciate it mate , if not ill give you a shout thank you

That would be perfect ! like i say doesnt have to be next week i can wait longer if you need mate but would appreciate first dibs as i will defiantly have that !

34. See above lol just edited

35. Haha yeah thats spot on mate :smiley: let me know when your ready :smile:

36. Well good news is the Cambelt kit aux belt kit and water pump have been done :smile:

downside front shocker is shot apprently :/ oh well just see on Adams r26 bits list £50.50 so not to bad really !

was expecting it cost a lot more so happy days !

Next is fit the brakes :smiley: they did comment on how bad they are lol

37. Spent the day cleaning my mums Fiesta zetec S TDCI and the megane today :smile:

Managed to fit the new Modified airbox , sounds awesome lot more throaty !

Fitted a set of HIDS to my friends Type R and then spent the rest of the day Cleaning the megane and waxing it :smile: looks awesome as well as sounds it ! Lol

ill post some photos when I take some :smile:

38. Christ, that megane needs a proper detail, swirl marks are awful

39. Waiting for a Dual action polisher , will get done , the previous owner must love Brillo pads :@