Gray's forged Megane r26 engine build

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Gray, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Coming soon... :smiley:

2. its about time!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Take ya time lad :wink:

4. Come on mate get the pics up of the engine at least being stripped :smile:

Did your pistons turn up?

5. The Boosh!

The Boosh! RSM Admin

lol, how much power then!?

6. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

i'm about to transfer my blog over and you've took the top spot for a coming soon?!?!!?!?!?!?!?1111111111/!

This wont do...

7. his took less time then yours!!!!

8. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

fair point, very mean today to me you. take my money and insult me. :wink:

looking forward to updates Gray!

9. lol i supplied parts for both cars its just your a little bit less organised than mr gray!
    it'll be good to see all the cars with a blog im quite looking forward to it!

10. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

I am just waiting on the pistons, which I've been promised will be here at the end of the week (fingers crossed). Currently away for a couple of days with work, but I will get some photos up on Thursday evening :smile:

11. Fingers crossed they will arrive this week mate :smile:

i will be waiting patiently on pictures thursday evening once i finish work (8pm) lol

going to try and transfer my blog over now :worried:

12. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

yeah, I hope so.

I've taken a number of photos from stripping the engine, but as usual not as many I would have liked.

13. TimR26

TimR26 South Central RSM Area Rep

Where are you getting the pistons from mate?

14. A seat Toledo.

15. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Can't believe you've given the game away FFS.

16. i cant believe this is now saturday and you don't have any pics up :tongueout:

17. Any updates gray? New turbo or are you going to max your hybrid?

18. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

UPDATE (finally)

Ok, when I started this thread I thought the engine would have been built, fitted and run in a long time ago! sadly this was not the case...

I ordered a set of 83mm Wossner pistons, which turned up after 2 weeks, great huh? - No. they where the incorrect size, 82.7mm. After a chat with the supplier they where sent back and the correct set re-ordered.

After another couple of weeks I was informed they have no 83mm pistons in stock, it would be around 1 month wait for stock. A lot of e-mails / phone calls went back and forth. The supplier could not get me a set in the application I required.

Fast forward another month and Engine Dynamics had started selling the new PEC / Supertech pistons, I gave up with the Wossners and ordered a set of these which turned up in a very reasonable time!

I now have every part required to build the engine. The block and pistons went to the machine shop yesterday for bore and honing work. Hope to have that back in 2 weeks, then I can build the engine up over Christmas :smile:

19. did andy discount them?

20. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Yeah he sorted me a very good price on the pistons and rods!

21. Will.

So any update with nothing actually happened? I got all excited for nothing :worried:

22. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

There will be plenty of updates and photos once my block is back from the machine shop :smile:

23. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Hi again.

Collected my engine from the machine shop over Christmas:

Blocked bored and honed to accept 83.00mm pistons.

Head and block faces skimmed.

Old oil squirters removed.

Valve seats re-cut.

Piston rings gapped.

Block and head chemically cleaned.

I fitted the rings to the pistons, much easier using a ring expander!

u4e5yqyn.jpg

I was planning to paint my block this week but the weather has been rubbish! So instead I decided to build up the head.

epu8e5a9.jpg

I started by lapping the valves using a fine paste and lapping tool (no photos as it's difficult to lap and take photos :wink: )

a8a6amys.jpg

Anyway, 1hr later and 16 valve seats lapped / cleaned again!

Next up was fitting the stem seals:

nedu3u8a.jpg

y2yba5an.jpg

Line up on the guide, tap, done.

Valves, springs, collets and retainers fitted, hello shiny Supertech valves :smile::

ujyza8y9.jpg

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon!

Next step is to paint the block and build that up, then the real fun begins!

Finally got the ball rolling now, more updates to come.

Big Uno likes this.
  24. Will.

Looks good. Done this sort of thing before?

25. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Nope! But I've done plenty of reading / research. Got a friend helping who's built a few F4R's too :smile:

26. Looking good mate, good to finally see some progress after the issues :smile:

lapping valves is great fun...just use a drill :tongueout:

27. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Did them all by hand, my wrists know about it now :wink:

28. Liquidf1

Liquidf1 Forum Trader

Nice work mate, coming along now.

29. so many jokes so little time.

Great work BTW

30. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Maybe I need more wrist action practice pmsl.

31. Wrists? You must be going it wrong! Lol

pam technique for the win haha

32. It's nearly taken as long as mine........:smile:.
    Did the machine shop gap your rings or did you do it.
    What turbo are you gonna run.
    Lee

33. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

If my pistons didn't arrive when they did it would have been written off!

Yeah machine shop gapped the rings for me.

I gave them the below specs to worl between (that's what Engine Dynamics told me to use):

Top:* 0.35mm to 0.40mm

Second: 0.42mm to 0.45mm

Oil ring needs to have a minimum gap of 0.35mm

I am sticking with my hybrid TD04 turbo :smile:

34. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Still debating what to do on the camshaft front... I've been offered the opportunity for Piper to profile me a set, but with hardly any of us running cams on the F4 turbo motor I am not sure what results to expect. Any experience / suggestions guys?

I've also purchased an uprated Racetronix fuel pump, 340 Litre/Hr and 4.0BAR FPR. I am going to run this with a new fuel line, alloy rail and 6AN fittings (no real benefit, but it looks bling ha).

35. I am unsure on the profile durations , but I wont go for something too lumpy as you wont be able to raise the boost enough and fuel to suit. The durations will be all wrong. Are you going to get ( can you get ? ) a vernier to dial it in ?

36. Didnt stevo c or steven878 have some catcams in his motor? May be worth giving them a shout/ pm?

37. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Steven878 is running CatCam 421's but they didn't perform great on his TD04 Hybrid turbo, 421's have high lift though

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  38. Nice to see this coming along.Which pistone rings are you using?Are you going to stay with this power?Pistone ring end gaps look a little bit on the tight side especialy 0.35.This is the gap clio RS is runing with 230 HP.
    Is this fuel pump direct replacemed for the OEM?
    Will you be running the return line or you are staying with the returnlees fuel system?

39. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

I am using Supertech pistons, it should make 8.7:1 ratio I think.

It's only a road car, aiming for around 320 / 330bhp so I kept the gap smaller.

I need to look at the fuel system more. But I don't think I will run a return.

You need to add wiring and modify the pump slightly for it to fit :smile:

How is your engine running, Sokol ?

40. I understand.So far so good.I have a litlle oil consumption at the moment and don't know is it the engine or turbo, as I have a lot of oil post turbo compressor side.Oil consumtion is 0.5 l on 1500 km and 2 track days. Will see after I install gtx turbo.
    I have alredy prepare the wiring and I can't dicide which pump to install.
    Please tell me more about this pump :smile: as I'm also staing with returnlees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_TeYUO8QM
    Here you can see how it is running :smile:

This supertech pistons looks very good.What pistone to wall clearence did you use?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014