Mark's 225 Track Car

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Mark., Aug 8, 2013.

1. About time I got round to my progress thread.

So when I got the car it had a fair bit of work already done to it.

KTR FMIC
    KTR Hybrid Turbo (standard injectors producing 280/280)
    Milltek Exhaust & De-Cat
    KW V3
    Federal RSR in 235/40/18
    KTR Grooved front and rear discs
    DS2500 Front Pads
    Yellow Stuff Rear Pads

fdc461e4.jpg

7e7ff7d4.jpg

0b6cf8f3.jpg

Initially it was going to be my budget track day car and I was only going to change what needed replacing due to wear and tear…As we all know it never goes to plan.

With car mainly laying in the workshop the battery wasn’t in the best condition so refused to start and needed a jump but I had Knockhill that night. Sods law at Knockhill I ended up leaving it for too long and it refused to start but...but ! At the same f'ing time the bonnet cable decided to snap on me :mad:

the result was that this was never going to happen again I got a set of Aero Catches and fitted them. Easy access now to the engine bay :smiley:

1428dc7b.jpg

0073f571.jpg

0a0f6cb7.jpg

I hated the red calipers and the wheels aren’t the best style for keeping the brakes cool on track and just as I was pondering which wheels to go for Steve878’s R26 wheels came up for sale so I bought them and painted the calipers black as well as buying a Godspeed 330mm disc kit.

IMG_0624_zps50505268.jpg

IMG_0625_zps577eb1eb.jpg

IMG_0626_zps4c1437f7.jpg

Once that was done and boredom setting in I stripped the interior and bought some more goodies...
    Cobra Imola Pro Seats
    KTR Sub frames
    OMP Side Mounts
    KTR/Oreca 4 Point Harnesses (which as it turns out are TRS )

IMG_0846_zpsfe6fbf28.jpg

IMG_0847_zps54aaac97.jpg

IMG_0859_zps04192eb8.jpg

DSC_0610.jpg

DSC_0612.jpg

After doing a good few track days it was always in the back of my mind if the map on the car was safe or not. I thought I might as well make the most of the hybrid on the standard internals whilst I was at it so I bought a set of 250 Injectors and headed off to see Paul at RS Tuning.
    Turns out after very little reading up on the subject the 250 injectors are too long for the 225 and don’t seat properly so a set of 630’s went in.

I was really happy with the ‘turned down’ results of 291bhp & 310ft/ld (initially it was 300bhp & 340 odds ft/lb but Paul didn’t fancy that on the standard internals)

IMG_1062_zps48677c52.jpg

I have to say the cars been transformed, the power delivery is so smooth and yet relentless at the same time. I’m happy with it power wise for now. Whilst we were down there we got onto talking about how the cars got no LSD. I was happy with it as I wasn’t really interested in buying a quaife or gripper the costs were too much to justify but Paul had planted the seed that his R26.R box was freshly rebuilt and lying in storage in the workshop.

Here are a couple of laps of Knockhill after the injectors and re-map. (Running 225/40/18 Yokohama AD08’s) The iPhones HZ rate is terrible on its own so ignore the speed, as for the timing it’ll be there or there abouts.

[video=youtube_share;OJFd7o6oyaE]http://youtu.be/OJFd7o6oyaE[/video]

[video=youtube_share;Z21zB8l2C6o]http://youtu.be/Z21zB8l2C6o[/video]

[video=youtube_share;7rKZfpK35F8]http://youtu.be/7rKZfpK35F8[/video]

After following Jamie from here in his yellow 250 it was evident I needed an LSD ! So I gave Paul at RS Tuning a call and bought the gearbox from his R26.R. Picked that up when we travelled back down with my mate in his 250.

After getting a few miles under its belt the standard clutch started to slip intermittently so with the R26.R gearbox not yet being in the car it was a perfect excuse (to the fiancée) that I needed the RS Tuning - Helix Clutch Kit. Also with car being a good age now and it purely being a Track Day/ Nice weather toy I decided to replace all the engine mounts, gearbox mounts and suspension top mounts as one of them is chirping like a budgie.

IMG_1181_zps7770e132.jpg

IMG_1182_zps0c59d7e5.jpg

IMG_1184_zps362835b1.jpg

2. As it sits now :smiley:

IMG_1120_zps7c78affe.jpg

IMG_1121_zps5ec08d83.jpg

IMG_1123_zpsf3ebda09.jpg

3. Dan

Dan

Very nice...

Whats next??

Cage?

4. Nice bit of kit!

5. Looking good mate. I wouldn't mind a few passenger laps around knockhill in it sometime.

6. You kept the helix clutch and flywheel a secret. Lol

How does the car feel to drive with the new box and clutch fitted?

7. Looking good mate

An R spoiler would look nice

8. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Cracking read and awesome car. Keep up the good work!!!

What benifits does the R26.R box have over the standard 225 box and buying a Quaife diff? Or was it cheaper to buy the R26.R box?

9. Cheers for all the comments guys.

I'd love a cage but as Im getting married soon that wont go to down to well. Im still listening to rubbish about the Clucth kit :blush:

If I'm about come and have a chat and Ill take you round

I know :tongueout: tried to keep it a secret from Lisa too but that didnt last long

Theyre getting fitted tomorrow along with the engine mounts, gearbox mount & strut top mounts

I think I will at some point, I need my back bumper painted to get rid of a nurburgring sticker thats been fitted and laquered over.

The gear box was cheeper than a diff.

10. Can you do us a favour mate and compare the gear change speeds between the 225 and .R box, as iv heard its closer ratio.

11. Ill do my best from the speedo, I tend to look at the revs on track.

12. When you next at knockhill? I'll probably be up for the PFC day.

13. Probably the Car Trackday on the 13th if theres spaces left. I'll be up with my mate in his 250 Cup

14. Daz

Daz

Car looks great! good score on the box you bugger :smile:

15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Dukes pass eh :wink:

Looking good Mark, Think i may need to get some weight saving done on mine now to even it up :tongueout:

16. Cheers Jamie

But don't do that I'll never catch that thing of yours :eek:

17. That's everything fitted now and I have to say changing the 4 mounts in the engine bay and the front strut top mounts has transformed the car. It feels absolutely solid and it's razor sharp on turn in.

As for the Helix clutch kit and R26.R gearbox well they're unbelievable it puts the power down so well and slingshots you out of bends. I do need to get used to the shorter throw to select gear but that'll come with time.

roll on the next trackday so I can try it out properly.

18. Did you notice if the gear changes a at different points compared to your old box?
    what mounts did you fit?

19. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ill give you a chance then :tongueout: Set a new PB on the full day OPL in July, 61s, I recon theres a 59/60 in it though with better tyres, which is my next purchase along with some lighter track wheels

20. Not yet mate I was too busy laughing, ill be able to check better on track.

Lighter track wheels OZ Ultraleggera's ?
    Difficult to choose a wheel with the 250/265 being 18/8.25 ???
    i think a nice Jap style wheel would suit the 250 like Volk TE37 doubt you'd get an offset to suit.

I've managed a 61.99 or something with AD08's

I'm going to try and get a 59.xx or a 60.xx with them before I try track bias rubber.

21. The Helix is a brilliant bit of kit Iove mine but I wish the pedal was a bit lighter lol

22. You told me it wasnt that bad when you drove mine :tongueout:
    bit different when using it everyday. Lol

23. I jumped in the van after the wee run out and the clutch felt broke :tongueout:

24. Wee picture of us at Knockhill on Tuesday night :rolleyes:

1149146_212524265573266_1498293699_o_zpsb37ee655.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  25. Lol I done the exact same.

26. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

yeah that was on RS-R's as well so pretty similar to you Yoko's, Not bad for a car that weighs a couple hundred KG's more than yours.

Not sure what i want yet, Fancy the OZ Allegeritas but they are pricey.

its a shame they need such a high offset and theres so much choice with them being jap fitment but most of them run low offsets :worried:

Think i will be getting a cage first though, The speeds it does on track now makes a cage almost compulsory IMO

27. I know your off the track lol .. But that is a good photo :smile:

28. Its a brilliant pic, luckily I was in passenger seat. I think if I'd have been driving my mate would have killed me lol

29. I thought your was yellow

30. Jamie's is yellow.

That pics my mates 250 Cup, he's not on any of the forums.

31. He's got Sense then

32. 000 and 020 are the same gearset.

33. thanks for that mate. iv was told the .R box was closer ratio, but i guess not.

34. Hi Mark,

So much for the "I'm not going to do much to the 225" haha

Looks amazing, and i bet it goes like stink.

We will need to get a catch up soon

35. I know !

Found a picture of the car at Knockhill when I was hunting through old photos.
    Needs a wash but the trackday was a last minute decision.

Knockhill25042013_zpsd8cf77ac.jpg

36. A few pictures Darren (DMN1989) took from Knockhill on Wednesday night;

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

37. Got a nice wee delivery on Tuesday and looking to get them fitted on Monday…I wonder who in their infinite wisdom at Renault decided it was a good idea to rivet the back wiper motor on :confused:

IMG_1939_zpsac9198fd.jpg

38. Are they genuine Renault windows?

i want a .R set, but not willing to spend the crazy retail price!

39. They're the ones for sale on the other forum

40. The ones that need to be screwed on? :/