R26 4 point harness install

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Dokez, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Afternoon , Can anyone advise what size eye bolts i need for rear belts that fit into the oem seats? And what about the lap belts? Im assuming going into the seat subframe?

Ktec subframe with Corbeau seats.

Thanks

2. Funny coincidence as, after a bit of resarch, I did an install today in my car for the driver's seat and will document my approach. For the 2 lap belts I only trust the original belt anchor points though: easy on the right (use the guide bolt) but it means unbolting the seat for access near the tranny tunnel on the other side . I wanted to retain the bolts so I used climbing coeurs instead of eye bolts https://www.totalaccessonline.co.uk...Petzl-10mm-COEUR-Stainless-Steel-Hanger-Plate

You need x3 10mm and x1 12mm per harness.

Photos here but ignore anchoring to the seat's rear bolt : not ideal. Use the belt guide bolt instead as designed for the necessary strength.

http://www.meganers.fr/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26923

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  3. Nickfrog

Perfect buddy, that way i can use original bolts to put those anchors in.

Im trying to plan what to do with the left lap strap (gearshift side) im thinking drilling a hole in side of subframe (nut and bolt the anchor to it) or maybe use the rear left subframe bolt ...

I will get those anchors ordered right away.

4. Nickfrog

Im assuming the 12mm anchor is for the seat belt guide bolt ?

5. Iirc yes i remember that 1 hole is bigger then the other (rears).... I will order and go from there perfect!

6. Let me know how you get on or if you have questions.
    Bear in mind that a harness shouldn't ideally be used without a roll cage. My use will be limited to track use, not road. Still risky of course but low mileage.

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Use proper eyelets if your going to do it, Schroth have brackets that are designed to be used in places where there is little space, much safer than using something that was designed for a totally different purpose....

8. The Schroth brackets are OK but not great on the Megane. The plates I have linked are massively stronger too
    , at 4mm thick and rated at 30 kN (!), not that they need to be but they lend themselves far better for this particular application.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  9. Given that people have a hissy fit about the angle of the harnesses to the floor ideally being 0 degrees (ie mount straight back to a bar), and 45 degrees being "not good" though acceptable, what is the rationale behind the harnesses in the trophy R etc?

I saw one at Rockingham and thought it was really nice, but the angle had "compressed spine" written all over it

I don't quite get how thats been deemed acceptable as it looks more than 45degrees? I guess it is, but was very surprised to see it

Anyway, I'm considering harnesses but because of an install in the rear I can't get at the mounting points in the floor

Are there any better looking harness bars than the ktec one, aside from doing what odinson has done with the half cage (which also wouldn't work with my rear)?

10. Is there a mounting point for a 6 point harness to come up from the floor?

11. I have never seen the R configuration. Does is use the rear seat belt / rear bench mounting point? I don't know what my final angle will be as I haven't got the harness yet, coming this week. I would expect around 45 deg or so, which I understand Recaro says is ok. I thought the spinal compression risk came from roof caving in and the impossibility to move about to mitigate this. Is that made worse by a steep angle ?

12. Some seats are OK with a chassis mounted shoulder strap angle of 45 deg. Not ideal though and not if used with HANS. However, even the FIA only use the words 'recommended' or 'preferable' for shoulder strap angles.

13. It does indeed. The rear bench points - basically what you linked to (very useful). I should have looked under the seat but that may have been a bit weird !

Yeah.... So basically, issues are:

1. If you are in harnesses and don't have a cage and you're on your roof, there is a risk you get crushed to death because you can't move your head / body to the side (which apparently would simply happen normally in a seat belt due to the way they're designed)

We know the Megane roof is fairly strong though :wink: so arguably it's one of those whereby you simply don't ever expect to be on your roof and, if that ever did happen, fingers crossed it doesn't collapse

2. When you have a shunt, the forces throw you forward. If you have a strap that is holding you 'back', there is an opposing force in the opposite direction of the strap... The more angle there is, the more that force is pushing down on your shoulders rather than pinning you back

Some guy had his harnesses literally straight down behind his seat, and that crushed his spine

I'm looking at Pole Position seats and harnesses, so I don't slide around in the seat so much, so have been looking at options

I could cut some holes in my floor for the straps - not ideal but should work, or I was thinking about a harness bar of some description being welded in. The rear bar I have for the cargo net is not really a suitable mounting point

14. There's no easy solution for a rear bolt-in or welded single harness bar.