Liams UR R26 Lux.

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by LiamR172, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Hi all..

I thought i'd start a thread about my megane so i can keep track of what ive done along the way.

My first car was a 1.2 16v clio. I had it for a year while i learned to drive, then my first year of driving.
    After owning the 1.2 i found CS.net, joined up and decided that after seeing so many nice 172/182s on there that a 172 would be my next car.

So i went off and bought one, it was a bit of a wreck when i got it, and since i bought it ive done nothing but spend money on it, either repairs or mods.

After 33k miles in 2 years, its time to move on again.

So.. heres the new car!

Standard apart from black wheels and door strips.

48k miles, years MOT and 6 months tax. FSH with the belts done the day before i picked it up.

Ill update things as i change/fix it.

Thanks for looking :wink:

Attached Files:

2. First thing to do was a good clean, just a foam, ironX, hand wash and then dried as i dont have any decent products at the moment.

Need to get some cloths, polish and wax before i can do it properly!

I took the engine cover off and removed the carpet from the bonnet. Looks alot cleaner now :smile:

Attached Files:

3. Brings me to tonight, the interior platics are the only part of the car that are marked... so i decided to wrap them black.

Ive done the interior door handles and the dashboard strip so far, need to tackle the centre part next!

Attached Files:

4. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Nice Liam, I like the wrapping the dash idea. My glove box strip is marked as well.

5. Thanks, yours looks good Hao. Im just not sold on the whole carbon thing though!

Imo it looks too try hard for a normal car if that makes sense?

6. It make sense. All black in a kind of piano finish look is great and so much better than the uggly oe gray

7. Yes i dont know why they would put that horrible silver in with everything else being black.

Piano black from factory would have been perfect!

Out interest, how much was your carbon?

8. Came accross a problem today..

First few days of driving around in the meg i noticed the coolant level was a bit low so i topped it up and it keeps dropping, i had a look at the bottom of the radiator today and its leaking!

Ahhhh

9. No biggie mate I'll pm you the part number of the rad I put in my car. About £60 odd iirc.

10. Brilliant, thanks mate!

Ive got a years warrenty on the car but im not sure if they will cover it or not!

11. I also need a headlight bulb, thinking about HIDs.

Stevo did i see you posting a link about the set you have?

12. CF kit 173 usd

13. Aye I'll look it out for you again. I'll get yeah part number when I'm home tonight too.

14. Cheers steven, appreciate it!

15. Meant to say I'll get that part number instead of I'll get yeah part number lol

16. Didnt even notice that haha!

Just won myself a set of black wheel nut covers, hide the rusty bastards for a while until i can get some TPI ones :smile:

17. Any luck Stevo?

18. Daz

Daz

Looking good!

19. Part number for the rad is RT450F and it's from a company called Fastrads. I can't find any hid kits for some reason but I'll keep looking mate.

20. Brilliant, thanks mate! Ill get that ordered shortly.

Yeah no worries, im not in a big rush for the HIDs.

21. Thats the radiator ordered. Hows the next day delivery service? Ive never had next day delivery up this way so it will be interesting haha.

Do yous know if i will need anything wlse for changing the rad over apart from coolant?

Cheers.

22. Just coolant you'll need mate. Make sure you get Renault type d though.

23. Alright then man cheers!

Hopefully get it done through the week next week :smile:

24. No bother mate.

25. Radiator arrived today, 73 (12 postage) delivered with 2 years warrenty.

Thanks again for telling me about that Stevo :smiley:

Attached Files:

26. Got the rad swapped over last night. First time ive ever tackled anything by myself and i managed it ok. Got covered in coolant when i took the pipe off the back of the rad though :blush:

Not put the crashbar, bumper or lights back on yet as im going to swap my indicators tonight from the clio.

Also noticed that my CV boot is hanging off so ill need to get that sorted out aswell!

Attached Files:

27. Small update.

I was out last night in the meg, its got a bug of some sort, it keeps cutting off.

I got some new Renault spark plugs today, ill post this in here for future reference.

Current milage is 49700. Spark plugs - £39

28. So i think the fault has been sorted.

Car went into Renault Ness motors on wednesday for diagnostics and came back with a TDC sensor fault.

Got the sensor yesterday and fitted last night (thanks mike) and the car was performing well last night, didnt cut out or anything so hopefully ill get a while of trouble free motoring! :l

29. A bit of an update on this... Its been a while!

After splitting up with my girlfriend, her friend decided to key my car, damaged the front wing, door, rear 1/4 and the fuel cap. The scratch also goes through my F1 decal so that will need replaced aswell.
    I caught her doing it though and called the police so she has been charged with it! I went and got a few quotes for the repair and its looking like its around the £800 mark!

Next problem is the car is currently running on 3 cylinders, Mike265Cup and mysel pottered about with it the other night and tried the plugs and coils but that didnt make a difference so i went and bought an injector (£52 fucking quid!) from my local renault, swapped that about replacing one at a time but that didnt solve it either!

Hopefully getting it plugged into a Renault CLIP machine through the week so hopefully that will narrow it down a bit.

Other than the above, the car is fine, but im finding it very boring and im missing the rawness of the 172! Hopefully once the paint is repair and this fault is sorted ill be able to sell it and buy either a tidy mk2 clio or something completely different. Im a bit sick of renaults problems so i quite fancy a change, however if theres a nice enough clio for sale at the time i may be tempted :tongueout:

30. Really? U should have smashed her face with a brick. I hope she is paying for the damage

31. Just for the record I don't hit females just incase any1 takes that comment seriously lol

32. Hahaha! I was close but its not worth it! She did say she would pay for it but i havent seen any cash yet! Shes getting done for it anyway so she will be getting a fine and hopefully made to pay compensation through the courts!

33. God I'd be raging bt she will be worse after think she is cool doing that then having to pay for the damage. I just don't understand why people do it.

34. I honestly dont know either mate, its so sad its unreal, at the end of the day though its a car and it can be repaired, so it doesnt even bother me! Be a bit different if she stabbed me or something haha

35. Aye we'll that's true ha. So ur going for a Clio next then? Should get a turbo one that would be pretty mentalmental

36. Well thats the plan tbh, turbo'd 1*2, or something away from renaults. It depends whats up for sale at the time really though!

Living so far north means that getting a clio turbo'd myself would mean at least a week in England for the installation and mapping.

See what happens though :smile:

37. My 197 cam'd ph1 with gripper diff straight swap as it is :wink:

Joking aside Shame about what happened chap and hope you find the problem.

38. Haha a phase 1 is a possibilty aswell, an itch id like to scratch as i love the front end of them!

Yeah hopefully figure it out this week! Cheers

39. This is cool, like an inverted version of my UB R26 Lux. I've got the black interior pieces too, just need to do the door handles, glovebox strip and the bits around the instruments.