GhostZ’s RS265 Facelift Project :P

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by GhostZ, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Hello my name is GhostZ i live in Belgium and this is my very first time owning a Megane RS and I love it to death <3 , I always wanted to start with a Megane RS for the first car but it was not logical for a 20 year old to buy a 265 hp FWD monster :smiley: and also my insurance did not like it either (unless I payed filthy amount of money to insure it) , so I bought a Twingo RS and also changed it a bit to suit my needs I loved that little car i still miss it a bit when I think about it that I sold it :/ , but in the end I wanted more luxury and more power (and potential to increase power/cost wise) so here I am

Also I will post some updates of the improvements and personal touches im going to add on my 265

Here are a few pictures

[​IMG]
    /[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    here are some pics of my little Twingo RS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Mikey4410 likes this.
  2. Great looking Megane RS! That Twingo is also a nice lil car

3. Great looking cars there, glad you're enjoying the megane :smiley:

4. Both stunning cars keep up the good work.

5. So i have done a few more mods to the car some OEM things that annoyed me a bit the stock height of the car looks high off the ground while cup suspension is good but felt a bit nervous for me on the Belgian roads , so i went and got i contact with some suppliers and got my self a KW variant 3 coilover kit installed on the Megane

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

she sits perfectly now the standard setup (dampening settings ) was quite a relaxing drive for long trips but afterwards taking a few corners with some speed i heard her catching the inside tire well so for me with this variant 3 kit you can dial in a bit more stiffness for the front or rear and you ready to go attack some corners :smiley:

also i changed the chrome badges for carbon ones , i have to says the description from streamline carbon is quite funny and vague "Direct replacement, bonded into position" from there website i do not have allot of pictures of the modifications we had to do to make the rear fit just pull it of wit a blunt piece of plastic and it pops off and to make it fit we just grinded the inside of the chrome diamond and stick the carbon one on top off the chrome one and that looked clean cause direct replacement was a huge laugh how the say it to make it look spot on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and for the chrome badge on the front you have to take of the bumper cause i taught it was snap off and do the same on the rear not really picture tells more words of my good friend helping me :smiley:

[​IMG]

the badge itself was also stuck in with a few clips and 1 bolt :confused: , so after i took it off i could not do the same trick as i did with the rear cause the fitment to put it over the chrome badge is not how it is supposed to be fitted and looked weird so i use some tec7 on the carbon one and put it on the plastic of the bumper itself i had to use lots of it to get it in contact with the plastic of the bumper itself .... but afterwards the result <3 looks better in my eyes :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that was some of the things i wanted to change on my Megane more to come :tongueout: but first i have to fill my bank account a bit more :smiley:

Big Uno likes this.
  6. Absolutely stunning!!!!

7. It has been a while again got a few pictures of the updates i have installed on the Meggy a while a go :tongueout: , so i wanted a fancy BOV and searched for a genuine HKS SSQV , after searching the internet how to spot a fake one finally found a trusted seller on ebay to sell me a new one , also the shop i bought it from came fully with a kit to install it for the Megane RS with adapter pieces and piping
    [​IMG]

i never imagined how heavy this was for such a little part

[​IMG]

to be fair installing this blanking plate was no joy the first bolt corner right was easy but those other 2 there is like no place to put a socket , had to do it with a wrench and i was also afraid when i would drop 1 of those bolts i would never find it again in the engine bay :smiley: but after a lot of swearing it was installed

[​IMG]

after buying the induction kit from KTEC it was time to disconnect the battery and get the old airbox out was fairly easy job to get it fitted (admins i have no idea why this is a link to another picture when you press this text O.o)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the placement of the BOV is still not certain , it looks to be in a good place for me it does not rub or hit the bonnet so it maybe stays like this , maybe anyone with a HKS bov got some pics of your setup would love to see them ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so that is all for now my search for some fancy wheels for the meggy goes further will post pictures and updates on that later :smiley:

Big Uno likes this.
  8. caymanr26

caymanr26 Events Liason

Looking really good mate! Very low!!!!
    where did you manage to find the genuine hks? Too scared to buy one as so many fakes around

9. hey cayman

hehe thanks i like driving low :tongueout:

well they sell it here on ebay http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Kit-Spe...653672?hash=item3f31282328:g:ESoAAMXQEgpTByrp it is a kit where everything is included so you dont have to search for the parts yourself it is a bit more expensive then searching all the bits but hey ill be honest i could not be bothered :smiley:

i see you drive an R26 so you will need this kit for the megane 2 rs http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Kit-Spe...894022?hash=item417d0d3dc6:g:EZwAAOxyLm9TByrh

10. Wow your car is sitting really low. No issues with the wheels touching the car while driving on the Belgian highway :wink:

11. it was lower in the beginning when i got it from my mechanic (never tell him you can lower it a bit :smiley: , they are known for lowering cars so they know what they are doing) so yeah the last of the thread was used still you could drive it but not on the default damping setting on the KW V3 it scrubbed a bit , but on stock settings the KW is uber comfortable compared to the cup springs and shocks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so after that i jacked the car up and put it a bit higher to do the daily driving on the *lovely Belgian roads* *sarcasm* also dailed a few more clicks to make it somewhat stiffer feels nicer that way for me , it is still a sport car but if you want turn the car all the way up in "offroad mode" put the damper settings on ultra soft and you feel like you driving in a expensive merc

[​IMG]

12. first time I've seen a meggy where the Steevs look good :smile:

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Any drive shaft issues yet running that low?

14. Be interesting see angle of your drive shafts, not easy to photo but if did get chance be interesting, plus am guessing you're cruising around and not laying waist on track anywhere so the shafts not complaining yet

15. yes some friends notified me slamming a Megane RS and then tracking it you will pop out a drive shaft , i have maybe intention to do a few trackdays (if so the joy of coilovers turn it up and im safe :tongueout:) but for now the car is made for fast road/spirited driving

this is also one of the reasons that you see on the pictures that i have put the car higher again because driving very low you could feel uneasy vibration , after noticing the vibration after the car was fitted on coilovers i looked under a car with my friend and he also said you have to put the car higher of the ground (sounds weird coming from his mouth he always slammed every car he has owned :wink:) but he said drive around like that for months and you will loose a drive shaft , we have turned it up until the vibration has gone away and that the angle of the drive shaft looked a bit more healthier

i know a friend that has put his Megane rs on air ride he once had bad luck (because he was driving stupidly low and trashing it around ) his drive shaft poped out and flew into his gearbox end result an expensive joke... , did he learn and threw the air ride away under his sports car no he did not .... his car his choices right:confused:

i have searched on some Belgium forums of megane owners that also had a problem poping out a drive shaft after lowering (not so severe as the story up top , it just poped out no massive damage), one of the reasons this can happen , 1. putting the Megane rs stupidly low that the angle of the drive shafts is quite sharp 2. constantly use the steering from FULL LOCK to FULL LOCK try avoiding that it will decrease the chances of the drive shaft even poping out , 3.even some guy said after having that problem he put it a bit higher and has put a roundel between the drive shaft (on the driver side i think LHD car) and ..... some place (hard to say in english :tongueout:) and reduces the chance of it happening even by a few percent every bit helps he said , still have to get more info on that last one

but in the end it's a little disease with any car that you lower/slam only the Megane RS dislikes it more than some other cars

hope this helped :wink:

16. Believe can put a washer (spacer) on the hub end of drive shaft, helps keeps it in the box at low ride height. Also am guessing drive shaft joint life is proportional to angle, with it slammed you're looking at just few hundred Km. there's not enough data out there yet as to where the delta is on optimum ride height v' shaft life v's looks. By lowering the vehicle you're raising the C of G which increases body roll plus induces bump steer to the track rod ends. Anyway keep us informed on your thoughts on how car performs during these modifications.

17. Little vid of the renault sport monitor and the last updates i have installed this is how it sounds , ktec intake and hks ssqv bov and back box chop

[video=youtube;0hYWD1UziJ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hYWD1UziJ0[/video]

18. The video is set to private, so I can't see it

19. haha sorry my bad it is fixed

20. Love this car!!!

21. That's awesome! This is what Renault should have done since the first RS: Satnav + Sport Monitor combined.

22. yeah it is an awesome play toy the monitor especially for the passenger , in the beginning it was dangerous because at first you start looking at all the graphs moving up and down and not looking where your driving :smiley: , but most of the time i just use 2 gauges oil and water temps :tongueout:

23. Nice project thread - car looks great.

24. It has been a while but there is a reason why :wink:

i have been in search for new after market rims for the Megane RS 265 as many maybe already know if you want something more “special” under the Megane RS the options are quite limited because of how the Megane RS is made you have a standard rim (STEEV's) with very high offset (ET65) and is already 8.25 wide and 19” (will post photo's in between the text the rims i have fitted and failed to fit this is quite a long post no one has to read it but it can maybe help you if you had the same frustration as I had in finding wheels , but still enjoy looking or reading :smiley: )

[​IMG]

try find a wide and affordable selection of rims that fall in the category of something 19 or 18 and 8.5 max offset 50 ( higher offset will fit easy 51,52,53 on FACTORY camber setup if you modify your camber setup for trackday use you can work with offset 45 rims as some people run them on their megane's on the Nürburgring thanks to odinson aka matt for that info :smiley: )

[​IMG]

most after market wheel manufacturers stop at offset 45 … for there 1 piece molded rims , reason why i think it is the most all-round size(offset) and fits most of the cars that come out of the factory standard and I also think for R&D purposes it is easier maybe to make (unless you have a french hot hatch called a Megane RS :smiley: ) and because of the car being 5x114.3 (mostly used for japanese cars) the joy of finding rims in that PCD with a very high offset is even more limited because most jap cars have an offset +/- 30

[​IMG][​IMG]

so easy answer was you want something more special you can go 2 or 3 piece fabricated rims (forged) , then your options are almost limitless but also the price tag will be limitless , with a smile some resellers told me “ow you want these , these will begin around 5000 euro per set “ (this was the “cheapest” 3 piece i could find after contacting many other rim manufacturers )

[​IMG][​IMG]

also first i was so insane i was like ok i want very nice rims so i have to save up to buy custom rims that will fit my car perfectly a wide setup (also keep in mind my car is somehow build for fast street /show use , this is how i also made my other car some people maybe know or even saw it on the first page of my project page this is my style some like it some don't :wink: )

[​IMG]

after talking to another rim dealer who helped me alot in finding an affordable 2 piece rim he had in his collection of choice to have custom made for the Megane RS he said it will be no problem and was very optimistic himself , as i saw the rim on pictures and the detail of it i was quite sold and a bit hyped , he afterwards said ill send the info to the BC racing factory so they can give me the specs what is the maximum possible for your car.

[​IMG]

i just silently agreed that he was contacting them but i did already know they would have no info on the Renault Megane RS as many other rim manufacturers over the world around 75% of the rim manufacturers for custom 2 or 3 piece rims (in my knowledge i think i covered most of them and yes the list is quite big ) they could not give my any info what would be MAXIMUM possible width to get on a Renault Megane RS but i had faith in him cause he sounded very confident so i was like i will see what happens

[​IMG]

so after 1 month i finally got an answer back from him and as usual he also had bad news and said there was no info in their database what so ever so there was not a 100% guaranty that they would fit or scrub , but he came with another solution he said he knows a guy that can measure everything all the angles of the caliper and maximum size inside the wheel arch and if they got that info they can make the rim perfectly with that info , but of course even when your almost whiling to pay 5000++ € the measuring had to be paid extra separately and was not included in the price so i get punished again for something they do not have i have to pay it for myself to make it work

[​IMG]

after that i woke myself up and called myself insane the amount of money I wanted to spend on a piece of cut aluminium (very expensive aluminium.... ) and there where not even tyres installed yet and there was not a 100% guaranty they will fit after they get delivered because the info comes from a guy “who says he knows what he is doing” after that i just said ok it stops here , else I have to search more or keep the OEM rims

[​IMG]

so after a while I searched around for 2nd hand rims that I need for the winter if it will snow a lot again and maybe for a track day use if I ever wanted to :wink:

[​IMG]

after some searching I found a nice set for a cheap price bit of cleaning and some polish and they look good as new , they are called Braid Fullrace A 18x8 ET50 the owner had them on his old RX8 which he sold few years ago and these still where collecting dust so I bought the rims of him for a very decent price

[​IMG]

now I have also nice shoes for the car in the winter and if I ever wanted to attend to a trackday I just take the winter tyres of so the Steev's dont have to suffer if I would ever go on track

also the search for a “show” set for the summer is almost done I hope... will give more info about it some time later have to keep it a bit exciting :tongueout:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  25. Epic news keep it coming

26. How did you manage to use both satnav and RS monitor? I was under the impression this wasn't possible!

27. well this is the face lift version so it has the R link system, i think pre facelift it did not have the R link system yet you could choose between renault sport monitor or carminat tom tom and with the facelift (2015) they just made the R link system where it is all included , it is a nice system if it works .... sometimes it has its buggy moments

but it is wonderful toy dangerous for the driver and pure fun for the passenger :smiley:

28. Ah, I see, I didn't know! Mine is a 2013 model, so pre-facelift then. To bad. I guess there is no way to make this work for my RS?
    Off-topic: I'm from Belgium too, Limburg, you?

29. hehe nice i'm from Antwerp , but if you want to meet up sometime give me a shout :wink:

30. How have i missed this thread?! Car looks awesome mate, about time someone would start doing some visual upgrades to the Megane, Netherlands is pretty boring in that regard in the Renault scene!

Has it had any power upgrades?

31. haha in belgium the Renault scene is also not that big but i have a good "mentor" we first wanted to make our cars all show worthy again (as you saw with the Twingo RS i was happy i built that and it was very unique in its own and fun, still miss it a bit... )

but i grow up and my "mentor" is somewhat older then me so we become "wiser :smiley: ?!" we stop a bit with the crazy show/stance look and go for clean and detail look on our cars for now and of course if the money is there to spend for extra power (within the limits of our stupid belgian law ....) we will do it but all in time

still need to post some stuff i have changed (cosmetic wise) and those are still not mentioned here .... i ordered some things for the car but for some reason and the amount of luck i have stuff kept getting delayed and set back so left my forum post what it was .

for power upgrades decat coming up soon if the parts arrive ..... also a little mod on the drive shaft but for huge power upgrades i'm still saving up for that, but step by step it is coming together just need the money the 265hp is enough for now but i know myself within a year 265 will be "normal" and then i will do remap , fmic , 630cc, full exhaust maybe

time will tell and also the amount of "play" money i have ofcourse

also tutuur your car is engine swapped right you still got the 225 engine or your going for the 250 heart now ?

32. I come with a “small” update again i have been to busy (read lazy) , to upload some pics and talk about it now and then..
    More updates to come but will give you this, for some time I hated the standard yellowish headlight bulbs on the Megane so I wanted to change them , 2 options I could think off was LED or Xenon ...
    (what I am about to say about the lights Is the “research” and findings I have done myself and I pulled my conclusion from that )

Original bulbs
    [​IMG]
    Most will think get LED lights because it has no downside to it , somehow you are correct but there is 1 big problem it gives off lots of heat. (led with fan compared to normal H7 bulb)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After searching around I found they produce around 3 types of LED for cars , Solid BIG heatsink , heatsink + mini fan , loose heatsink wire O.o ?

the 3 types I have found
    The wire one

[​IMG]

big heatsink
    [​IMG]

Heatsink + fan +”led driver” (some come with that)

[​IMG]

Im going to make this short as possible I was opting for the LED with the big heatsink but because of the way renault made the headlights fit the megane it makes it not possible to fit them back properly … (in my case with the set off lights I had)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

“so why don’t you take the ones with the mini fan on the outside”
    I am not a fan (pun not intended) of a small computer fan cooling that heatsink in a wet environment ,even if you think about it what will happen when the fan stops (dirt/short circuit) will the “led driver” have some electronics in there that will cut off the LED light ?

so that it wont heat up and maybe melt your headlight or something …, I even asked at the shop that sell them and when I asked them the question they seemed flustered and then said yes …. (hardly believe any of it)
    [​IMG]
    (comparison led vs halogen)
    so yeah the wire one just seems weird and also it will flop around and not do much cooling in my eyes
    so the only option for me because of limited space I placed xenon bulbs again it is a bit of a hassle with the starters and such to put it all away but once I got it fitted I was happy =)

[​IMG]
    only thing I hate a bit I wish I could maybe find a spare set of DRL’s (working or broken) want to try take them apart and put other LED’s in them (so they look less yellowish)

also got myself some fresh tires for the winter , don’t think it will snow anymore * knocks on wood * think for these days uniroyal rainsports 3 will do the job :smile:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also got myself a Trophy-R steering wheel for a good price , feels much nicer the alcantara makes me want to put more bits of alcantara on the car :blush:

[​IMG]

got some more things to show you but I hope for somewhat “better weather “ so I can take better pictures :smiley:

MartijnGizmo likes this.
  33. Looks good with the new steering wheel! How are you finding the tyres?

34. How do you find the light spread from the LED conversion? I tried something similar in my Laguna and it feels like it doesn't penetrate the darkness as good as a halogen or xenon lamp but it makes more light close to the car. I always considered the way the light is sent out of the bulb is important and the LED is a very directional light compared with a glass bulb which shines all around.

S.

35. yeah steering wheel feels real nice , only downside need to clean it more delicate then leather :smiley:.

the tyres are on but still a bit slippery i need to drive a bit more and longer to get that fresh coat off the tyres

in the end i have fitted Xenon , but i tested those LED bulbs i got from my friendly neighbour and then i saw it would not fit properly to my liking

36. So exactly the same finding like me. Thanks.

S.

GhostZ likes this.

37. beste, hoe is het kwa rij eigenschappen en wegligging tegenover een standaard ophanging van de begane rs ? mvg
    (P.S.) sorry dat het in het nederlands is