Sponsored By:  

Donington Park GP 5th November Write Up

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by Sam@NP, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Hello, a quick write up on last weekends trackday at Donny. Not many pictures, a video of some mediocre driving and a scruffy lap on RS Monitor.

The Car: Megane 275 Cup-S
    Spec: R&T Ohlins, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2, Recaros, CL RC5+ pads front, standard rear, super-secret brake fluid

The car is currently set to the ‘Nurburging Lap Record’ setting which consists of specific damper settings and lowest ride height. I was running 2.2bar tyre pressures front and rear.

Overall the car felt very very good, the brakes were strong but not perfect and the chassis could carry immense speed despite the relatively soft springs.

The RS Monitor took some learning but I’m getting the hang of it. I’ve uploaded the fastest lap recorded a 1.53.60 but it was only used for a short session not the entire day. The lap is far from perfect especially the braking zone. FYI, Craner Curves was done at 105mph!

The tyres took ages to come up to temperature starting at 2bar and taking 2 laps to get to 2.2bar however the performance was incredible and showed signs of nice even wear. Overall the car had very sharp turn-in, mid corner adjustability was good in the higher speed corners like Craners Curves, McLeans and the Esses. Slower speed corner exit was mighty, the diff worked well only being overpowered if you got too inpatient out of Melbourne Hairpin.

An interesting point, brake temps measured immediately after getting into the pits were 420 degrees front, 340 rear. Uprated rear pads will certainly be added for the next outing.

It was good to meet both Ian and Sam, good looking cars lads. Do we know who was in the Silver R26?

Roll on DN17, Spa and Zolder next year!

http://www.renaultsport.com/rsreplay/#/runs/4787

hit replay bottom right.

Attached Files:

2. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Can you give me tuition in the new year? Fanx

3. Nice, thanks for the write up.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

4. Not bad Samuel.

Did it stay dry all day? It rained for us on Sunday at Lunch and with an hour left.

5. Excellent write up Sam, fantastic results for what is a standard car!

Was hoping you'd be quicker than my mates focus, only a second difference but I'll tell him you did a 1:52 - that'll really piss him off :smile:

For some reason the renaultsport link doesn't really show anything for me other than a black screen?

Have you got any laps with data overlayed? Would be good to try and copy!

Cheers,
    Sam

6. Of course, payment into the usual offshore account of my fathers dog.

Stayed dry all day thankfully, ambient was only 7 to 8 degrees though. How did you guys get on?

Thank you. A 1.52 is achievable with the car as is. I only had the data on for one session (3 flying laps) which wasn't the cleanest so no doubt I went faster but I can only publish the data I have :smile: Speaking of which I think I need to republish the RSPLAY data so it can be viewed by the public, anyone done this...?

A quick breakdown;
    Peak speed: 186kph
    Peak Lateral G: 1.51
    Peak longitudinal G: -1.00
    Gears:
    Redgate 4th
    Craners: 5th
    Old Hairpin: 4th
    McLeans: 4th
    Coppice: 4th
    Esses: 4th
    Melbourne Hairpin: 2nd (would be quicker in 3rd)
    Goddards: 2nd (again should be 3rd)

I'll keep playing and see if I can publish it properly.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    git-r likes this.
  7. Dry morning, rained at lunch and then started to dry again. Few heavy showers in the last hour.

Shared my car with Brett, he nearly lost it at the chicane in the last 30 mins then i went out and about 10 mins before end of play i ended up sideways at 100 through Craners :tearsofjoy: kept it out the gravel though.

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

1.5g is impressive for a stock car!

Good going, I didn't watch all the video though as i find that sort of view a bit boring, Much better to watch if you can see in the cockpit to what the driver is doing IMO

9. :sunglasses:

Can confirm improved pace as a result of SMRacing Tution ltd...

Just ask @nickfrog (:tongueclosed:)

10. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

I beat Sam once, no seriously.

Forza 3, Silversone.

11. 1.5g lateral is very good!!!

1.0g longitudinal isn't that good tho is it?

Thanks for corner/gear info, makes it so clear to see how you are so much quicker than me!

Do you have the 1:53 on vid?

Will tell the focus guy you did a 1:51 :smile:

He'll probably go and get it chipped again now lol!