Engine torque wrench settings

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ianplymouth, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Hi all
    Well i have managed to get this information now, thanks to a local (to me) garage.

Torque settings for the Megane 250 F4r 874 engine, so i think it's good for the 265 and 275 also.

Cylinder head bolts - 30nm, 30nm and then 180 deg.
    camshaft inlet - 90nm
    camshaft exhaust - 30nm then 86 deg.

Crankshaft pulley bolt - 40nm then 110 deg.
    Main bearing caps - 20nm then 62 deg.
    Con rod bolts - 25nm then 110 deg.

Flywheel bolts - 30nm then 56 deg.

Oil drain plug - 20nm.

Hope this helps
    Think this would also be good for 225 and r26 engines F4r 774

manugtt and Trophyboy like this.
  2. Nice one Ian

These are exactly what I needed. Can't be too far away for the F4R.774 engine

3. No i don't think they are
    I have a lot more settings for virtually everything else if you require them

Trophyboy likes this.
  4. Cool glad my con rod and main figures were right.
    For the 225/r26 though everything ive got/ seen has different torque values for the headbolts though.
    99% sure flywheel torque is different too (from memory)

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

5. Ahh okay, these figures were for the 250/265/275, i might pop and see the guy at the garage again and see if i can get 225/r26 figures.

jjones82 likes this.
  6. That would be great Ian. Post them up if you have them or pm me bud.

7. HI there,
    Can I get a bit of advice on the cylinder head tightening please.
    Maybe I'm not understanding..
    So I stared tightening 1-10 from inside out all to 30nm, then I did another round of tightening to 30nm again. Then I started doing number 1 and 2 to 180 degrees which was tight. By the time I got to bolt 3 the bolts were very loose and got to 180 degrees with not much effort and it didn't feel that tight. Am I doing something wrong?

8. This is why it's the 30nm and then another 30nm, this should then leave them at the same tightness.
    if you think they are loose after you have done the 2x30nm and a 180deg on a couple of bolts, then the others are loose, that's not what i have ever come across in all the engines i have built.

What head gasket are you using, it needs to be a multi layered one.

9. Hi there,
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Brigsby on here advised that I should be waiting awhile before each stage and that seemed to help. After doing the two sets of 30nm they were all the same tightness and then when doing the first two bolts at 180 degrees, the remaining bolts became loose again, but they did tighten to the same tightness after applying the 180 degrees.
    I just thought the fact they got loose again seems to counteract the point of doing the first two stages.
    The gasket is a multi layer one made by

Brigsy likes this.
  10. Made by Ajusa.

11. Those are the gaskets i use most of the time, Pure motorsport do a complete top end gasket set (Renault) for not much than aftermarket ones, so recently i have been using them.

You are starting with the middle bolts and tightening in an outward spiral ???

If they have gone up tight then i'm sure they will be fine.

Brigsy likes this.
  12. Would not worry, as Ian said if the bolts went down tight it will be fine. I dont recall ever feeling a set of head bolts going down the same - some always feel different to others, but aslong as they are to the same angle or nm specified, wont be an issue. Its more of a worry giving them a little bit more and a bolt snaps in the process.

I recently fitted my arp stud and nut kit and it does not need angle torquing. It also felt the same on the final stage, some were pretty tight, some not so tight but all torqued to spec. I let it all settle for a day as engine was on the stand, checked torque and all were absolutely tight as fuk to the spec.

Ps dont try and retorque oem stretch bolts or you risk a snap.

ianplymouth likes this.
  13. Hi Brigsy,

I've learnt so much from you guys, and have put my nerves at ease, it's really appreciated!

Kind regards

Brigsy likes this.
  14. Hi Ian, that's great to know! Yes exactly that in terms of tightening.

Thank you