RS265 to R26 - doing it

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Frimley111R, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Ok, my RS265 has been sold, lovely and capable though it was I always felt it was too big and heavy for me, not helped by coming from 10 years of Lotus. Plus I had the full fat Cup model and so trying to keep it as my pride and joy and use it for driving activities that weren't exactly compatible with 'tlc' was a challenge.

So, my plan was to move to an R26R but they are even more expensive and I'd be in the same situation so I am now looking at a decent R26, modified potentially (to save me money doing it!) and fitting it with proper 'track' tyres (road legal), bucket seats, harnesses and potentially a KTEC bolt in cage as its about the only reasonable option. I think that'll almost give me an R26R and it'll be hard core enough for what I want but soft enough for normal driving (I don't drive in the week so it wont do many 'normal' miles).

I like the R26 because its physically smaller, not much slower and there's plenty of aftermarket 'toys' to add/play around with.

I'm looking at this and although its the last colour I want (last 2 cars I had were black), with a set of red wheels and some RS graphics it'll look suitable sporty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262809962010?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2. Looks like a great car and fair price

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

3. Although lighter, I never found its wheel base to offer as much capability, but if I was going for an all out track car to strip and cage then it makes sense

Just remember they changed it for a reason ;-)

I'd say you would be better off with a clio and do a Megane engine conversion

4. It's very black.

5. Why? I remember posting about these but people seemed not to be keen.

6. I say this to my friends I do Trackdays with all the time. If I had to get rid of my megane for something a little cheaper to continue Trackdays, I would buy a tidy Clio 200 cup. And of course, there is always the option of a megane engine later on if you feel you need it, the Clio is lighter, handles much better, is cheaper, arguably more reliable, far better looking, has the same brakes as the r26, and costs around the same money for a newer, lower mileage car.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Just-that-ek likes this.
  7. Can't really find one correct statement in that
    Gearbox issues on the 200
    Get less for your money (megs on 40k or less for 5/6grand
    And I don't think t handles as well, turn in is sharper but they are much less stable at higher speed corners than the megs

Ps
    I've had a 275trophy
    197f1
    And 2 r26s

So I feel I'm qualified to answer this one

8. NJH

NJH

....and terrible fuel economy and short gearing which means a droning engine on motorways. Still though they are much lighter at their starting point than our Megs and thus benefit from using the same brakes and many front end components. Also one can shim the rear hubs unlike on our mk2 Megs.

Biggest issue I see with them is that the engines don't seem to be anything like a true 200 Bhp, the midrange grunt from a boosted car is really addictive.

9. Clio is a better chassis than R26 IMO, and the engine from the Mk3 is better than the mk2, and will take all the power you could throw at a clio chassis

Cheaper parts also

Depends what you want. If it's a fwd stripped and caged track car then I'd go clio

If anything more refined, I'd stick with mk3

10. Sorry Joe, I will list the "correct statements" for you??

Clio is lighter.
    Clio has the same brakes.
    Megane engine is an option if needed.
    And if you are looking for a clean r26 and aren't buying the cheapest out there, a 10 plate 200 and an 07/08 r26 are in the same price bracket.

Then there's the other stuff relevant to the op's post which made me feel it was worth suggesting. Having previously had a lotus, the buzzy, revvy little engine, with close ratios in a lighter car may be something he/she enjoys... I find a Clio a more engaging and enjoyable drive, albeit at lower speeds. And the difference power/torque makes on UK circuits is nowhere near what people anticipate.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  11. I see you've gone off the idea of buying a zs as a track car. I dont blame you, ive just bought one but spent months looking for a decent one.