#Under8

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Will., Apr 16, 2014.

1. oh yeah is that the seat that's so good you can't actually buy one that they set the record with. Utterly pointless and technically just a prototype

2. Easy to say, you may as well say buy leon rather than a r26r as it's 20 seconds quicker. But it's also about the driver feedback you get back with such a car, most people wouldn't be able to peddle the leon like a race driver where as the megane will probably be easier for an everyday driver to move along quickly.

3. Dan

Dan

I hear Renault are going for 7.45 lap time.

Not just a little faster than the Honda!

4. Track Focus Direct

Track Focus Direct RSM Trader

Its hard to compare ring lap times from this year with previous years because the track is a lot faster than before. I was there over the last few days (in the R26) and was getting into the 8:20s relatively easily with some traffic and a few oil spills slowing me down. On a perfect day (which rarely happens), I suspect the R26 is good for 8:15 and my Focus 7:30/7:40's (BTG times). I remember when it was hard to crack 8:20 in a 310bhp Focus that had been significantly modified! Having said that, the R26 is extremely capable in near to standard form... I was impressed :-)

5. What alot peole forget that compare ring times to their own times is the fact that there time is a BTG (bridge to gantry time) and doesn't involve the time to go down the whole main straight which is pretty long!

6. Dan

Dan

How has it got faster?

(I know I've still not called you about my brakes... I still want them just not had chance.)

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

In a quick car there isn't actually that much between a full lap from T13 to a BTG laptime, last summer a friend worked it out in his m3 that was doing sub 8 btgs that a full lap was only a few seconds slower.

New track surfaces and slight changes have made the track quicker this year Dan

8. Track Focus Direct

Just checked one of my videos and Gantry to Bridge is about 20-25s depending on the lap. I was passing the bridge at about 160mph and getting close to 170mph into Tiergarten. So the straight does add a bit but you also start the lap from the bridge at a much higher speed than on a normal TF session.

Yes the new surfaces and subtle changes have made it feel a lot quicker in places.

9. Dan

Dan

I remember (and have the VHF Video) of a GT3 MK1 breaking the 8.00 lap time (one of the reasons I bought one) now a Hot Hatch can match it!!

10. "Porsche's official test-driver Walter Röhrl completed the Nürburgring Nordschleife with the 996 GT3 in 7 minutes 56 seconds"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_GT3

Seems slow by todays standards doesn't it?

11. i take it the 160-170 mph is in your focus then, 20-25 seconds is a long way then

12. I went to have a look at the new seat today. They just don't look special, might be quick but look uninspiring.

13. I,m still waiting to test drive a Leon 280, been a month or so now, only cars around me are paddle shift type no manuals on Seats dealer test fleet so the nice salesman tell me lol. I,m told they only got the 265 with a gear stick, so I,m waiting for a call to test drive a 265.

14. Will be a boring version of a 265

15. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Wow. That comment.

Like the R26.R was a boring version of the R26?

I know Renault haven't been good with special editions the past few years, but they are putting in effort with this one. You can tell just with the amount of publicity they are putting out about it. They wouldn't do that if it was another special edition with just some different coloured wheels.

16. Must admit the one I looked around in Sidcup kent didn't grab me at all, but if they ever sort me out a manual to test drive il have a go.

17. I have seen it and it doesn't steal my heart, too. Seat looks sÄ… boring as others VAGs.

18. Will, I mean the Leon wont be as good as a 265 mate

19. Will.

Phew!!! Very misleading sentence :wink:

20. Lol sorry mate

21. Track Focus Direct

Yeah, its surprising how the seconds tick by. I'll dig out the link if you're interested..

22. Yes link please, these pro drivers must be going some then to shed 25 seconds

23. Easier to be brave when there no consequences to crashing.

24. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

There's now a video confirming the Akrapovic exhaust.....

25. Where ?

26. Will.

Facebook.

[video=youtube;ieecdBseOfw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieecdBseOfw[/video]

27. Awesome!!! Curious why they should need the rears spinning on that dyno mind?? 4wd possibly??

28. Will.

Probably just for show and to test the braking on it.

29. Ah! Shame :worried:

30. Still just FWD, otherwise they'd have to of removed the rear wheel well to fit the axle I imagine but you can see it's still intact later in the vid.

31. It would also defeat the purpose of the fastest FWD lap time...

32. Who'd complain about losing the "spare wheel well". I haven't seen a proper spare on a car for years, nowadays you get a can of useless foam or maybe a space saver if you're really lucky.
    I find this really takes the piss when you find out a full size wheel easily fits in the well.

33. Track Focus Direct

Good point, damn that's where my 20 seconds went. I had a spare wheel, a pump, 2 pots of useless puncture repair goo AND a toolbox! LOL :-)

34. our test center includes a 4x4 dyno as well, the front axle can move so we can measure all cars with this system.

Advantage:

more accurate measurements
    no ESP/ABS errors
    automatic gearboxes can be measured including PDK!

35. Sounds good.. going to swap my RS250 Cup to the new Trophy R :smile: